Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RobinPGI
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Robin Matthews

One data mover for two B&R servers?

Post by RobinPGI »

I have a physical server that I use for accessing a USB disk for offline backups for my production Veeam B&R.

I'd also like to use the same server to access a USB disk for a test B&R server, running the community edition.

At the moment the prod B&R server has installed a data mover onto the physical server. I don't know enough about how these work though - is that data mover install tied to the prod B&R server via some permanent config? What will happen if I point my test B&R server to the same physical server to try and create a new repository on it?

I'm worried this will break my prod data mover (and thus the prod USB repository).

Can somebody please advise?

Thanks.
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: One data mover for two B&R servers?

Post by karsten123 »

try SMB for the second VBR server
RobinPGI
Influencer
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Robin Matthews

Post by RobinPGI »

Thanks, yes I could do this but I'd rather have it work as a "proper" repository if possible, I want to be able to use the "rotated drives" option. Hoping somebody here knows more about how the data movers work.

Otherwise I'll have to build a test lab and try it myself :-)
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Post by DanielJ »

I have shared a repository server between two VBR servers, using different folders but sharing the installed components. It worked as long as I remembered to apply any updates to both VBR servers. That was pre-v10, I don't know if something is different nowadays that would prevent it from working. It was never "best practice" in any case.