Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
luckyinfil
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times

Resource requirements

Post by luckyinfil »

If I'm planning on utilizing a physical server to be the Veeam Backup Server, the offhost backup proxy and the backup repository all in one, what are the guidelines/requirements to how many concurrent jobs I can run? With VMware, I believe the number is 1 concurrent job per CPU core and X amount of RAM (can someone remind me what this figure is?) Are these figures the same for Hyper-V?

Also, the configuration in the above scenario would be the same as in vmware where I would zone the host to all the LUNs that are presented to the Hyper-V cluster as read only and disable disk automount on this physical server. Is this correct?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Resource requirements

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello John,

1. With version 7 and new compression algorithm (less stress on the CPU) that is used by default the guidelines and requirements will be different, a bit more loose I suppose. As to the previous numbers, then they looked like this.
2. For the off-host backup proxy you should also install hardware VSS provider. See this on-line help center web page for more info on the requirements > Offhost Backup

Thank you!