Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

SCVMM inventory searching slow

Post by ortec-RW »

Hi

I thought I'd drop this issue in here before creating a support ticket. I suspect its a 'feature'.

When I edit jobs, and add VMs from the inventory I see there is a huge difference when the job I edit is a copy-job, compared to a backup job. On a backup job, you can search and select VMs (objects) from your infrastructure inventory. In our case that's a SCVMM with multiple HCI clusters. In most cases you can search and find a VM within a couple of seconds. It's not blazing fast, but definitely workable.
But on copy jobs it's freakingly slow, and damn near unworkable. A search for a VM takes minutes instead of seconds. We have about 450 VMs, it really should not take this long. And on normal backup jobs it doesn't. Only on copy jobs. Why is that ? In both cases I select the Infrastructure inventory as my source. Why would the search be any different ?
If I select a different source then the infrastructure, it's much much faster. Probably because it doesn't have to search through a whole lot of data. But again, why would this difference only be there on the copy job.

This behavior has been the case for a long long time. Since before version 9 if memory serves me well. An I missing the clue here ?

Greetz
Richard
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: SCVMM inventory searching slow

Post by Mildur »

Hello Richard
But on copy jobs it's freakingly slow, and damn near unworkable. A search for a VM takes minutes instead of seconds. We have about 450 VMs, it really should not take this long.
May I ask which Veeam version you are using? I believe you are still running V10 or V11.
In v12 we delivered a new backup copy job type. It doesn't support "from infrastructure" anymore.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Post by ortec-RW »

I upgraded from V11 to V12 and I still have the option to select 'from infrastructure' on the copy jobs. They show up as lecagy bacup copy jobs.

Newly created copy jobs no longer have the 'from infra' option. I can only select an entire Repo or an Entire job. If I only want 1 VM from a job or repo, I need to use exclusions which is cumbersome. This doesn't feel like an improvement to me. It's actually worse then the legacy jobs. And it's not a fix for the slow inventory searching. It's more like skipping the entire functionality to get around the bug.

So what's the back-story for having the copy jobs this way ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Yes, legacy backup copy jobs can still use this feature. You can't create new legacy jobs in V12.
To come back to your original question for this topic. I recommend to open a case with our customer support. Our support team will check the log files from your server. The log files will tell us about the bottleneck and if there is an issue or not.
So what's the back-story for having the copy jobs this way ?
If you want to have more information and/or leave your a comment about the missing option in v12, please see the following topic:
- post504850.html?hilit=infrastructure%20copy#p504850

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software