Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
RWeiss
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Server 2012 R2 backing up Server 2019

Post by RWeiss »

Hello all

We upgraded our 2012 R2 cluster to 2019 today. At the moment, we still have one host of two down. The backup server, which is a VM on the cluster, remains on Server 2012 R2 for now - we will upgrade it in the coming weeks - that was the plan at least.
I updated/rescanned the server that is online and I already had an issue that even though the wizard didnt report any issues, it remained unavilable. I solved this through a reboot of the backup server.

Now I experience two issues:
Because one node is down, Veeam takes aaaaaaages to realize that this is the case. Every action involving the cluster takes forever.
- Selecting a VM / Expanding the cluster in a job takes forever
- Starting jobs involving the cluster takes forever - actually I gave up after 5 minutes of trying to list the VMs.

For one job, I tried going from just having the physical cluster added (with some CSV exclusions) to specifically adding the VMs. This also does not seem to work - the VMs are not updating their usage/disk sizes, so I don't even want to try to run this job.

Now, this could very well be a 2012R2 -> 2019 incompatibility but I couldn't find anything through Google, but I'm wondering what I can do to make this work again? Will upgrading to 2019 even help or could the issue lie somewhere else?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Server 2012 R2 backing up Server 2019

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Hyper-V 2019 and backup server on Windows Server 2012 R2 are supported. It sounds like a technical issue, I suppose it could be related to slow WMI query execution during the attempt to build objects tree, in particular to retrieve VM list from cluster. The best way to troubleshoot it is to contact our support team. I'm pretty sure that our engineers will be able to figure out the cause of this behavior. Please don't forget to share a support case ID.

Thanks!