Snapshots and low disk space

Hyper-V specific discussions

Snapshots and low disk space

Veeam Logoby duhej » Thu May 11, 2017 4:25 am

Good afternoon. There is MS Server 2016 (2 pieces: VM source and VM receiver) and VBR U2 and configured in it backup and VM replication tasks from source Hyper-V to receiver Hyper-V. Periodically, randomly, on the HDD (on the VM source) with the VM, snapshots of the VM are created and then the free space on the disk with the VM ends and then the VMs do not work. This is totaly not necessary and creates a lot of problem problems for me. How to completely disable the creation of snapshots on the VM source, so that all backups and replicas are created ONLY to receiver Hyper-V?
duhej
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: 111

Re: Snapshots and low disk space

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 11, 2017 4:34 am

Hi @duhej,

First: Welcome to the forums!

I am not sure if I completely follow. Our replication technology is based on snapshot creation so we need to create a snapshot or we can't replicate the changes. That being said. If you are running out of disk space, that means that either it takes a long time for the replication which means there is a lot of changes that need to be processed or you are really low on disk space.

How much space do you have left? Are the checkpoints (new MSFT name for snapshots) placed on the same disk or redirected to another location?

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 384 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby duhej » Thu May 11, 2017 2:47 pm

First: thanks for answer.
Second: i have source hyper-v and reciever hyper-v. I totaly do not need any snapshots or another changes to original VM vhdx files placed at source hyper-v. For snapshots or another changes i have reciever hyper-v. I have 1000 gb and I am running out of disk space, because there are a lot of snapshots of VM (at source hyper-v) placed on the same disk and this is the real problem.
duhej
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Thu May 11, 2017 2:57 pm

You do need a temporary snapshot at the source side when the replication starts. Otherwise it is not possible to do the replication.

When you look here in our manual on how it works: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95

in point 8 you see: Veeam Backup & Replication requests Microsoft Hyper-V VSS to create a cohesive point-in-time copy of a VM. Microsoft Hyper-V VSS creates a volume snapshot or VM checkpoint, depending on the hypervisor version.

But that snapshot should be removed after the replication job is done
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...

Veeam Logoby duhej » Sat May 13, 2017 7:16 am

Ok, so if there are a lot snapshots (chain of snapshots) at the same disk - something is wrong?
duhej
Novice

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon May 15, 2017 10:36 am

Hi,

Yeah, I think something is wrong at that point in time. This could be for many reasons, and one of it could be Veeam (although when it is a chain, I doubt it but still...).

Now the issue with a chain of snapshots is that it could be dangerous to "remove" or "apply" them. So at this point in time, I would advise you to create a support call and let our engineers see if the issue is related to us or not, and at the same time they most probably will advise you what the best next step is to do (if it is not us that creates the chain at least...)

Please post the support ID here and the follow-up after working with support

Thanks
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby duhej » Fri May 19, 2017 4:27 am

thx
duhej
Novice

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V