Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
MartinDT
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Martin

Snapshots Cache Folder

Post by MartinDT »

Hi All,

We are upgrading our servers to Server 2022, but each host takes several days to update, due to the amount of files in the following folder, it has to process.
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V\Snapshots Cache
I can't find much info about it, but I think each time Veeam creates a snapshot, Hyper-V takes a copy of the config and stores it here.
Depending on the server, the folder contains several hundred thousand files, Is there a way to clean up this folder? As I presume Hyper-V is referencing these files somewhere, so simply deleting them will cause issues.

Thanks,
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Snapshots Cache Folder

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Martin.

That does not look like normal behavior.
It would be best to address this issue on Microsoft Forums.

/Thanks!
MartinDT
Lurker
Full Name: Martin

Post by MartinDT »

I Presumed it would be more of a Veeam Issue, as each time it takes a backup of a VM, it creates a new file in there.
On a large cluster, running for some time, they easily mount up over time.

I've searched on the MS forums, and around the internet, but can't seem to find anything about it, or if they can be deleted.
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Post by soncscy »

Hey Martin,

Backup applications just interface with the APIs and request interactions with checkpoints; they shouldn't get into the actual checkpoint process/inner workings, so it's definitely a question for Microsoft.

How did you determine that this folder was the hang for the update by the way? I'm not doubting but I've also never heard of this folder before your topic and it appears to be another black-box from Microsoft, so any information you have would be nice.

Also, maybe your Virtual Machines have many __reference__ points? Not checkpoints, reference points. I think reference points show as green in the UI, checkpoints look blue.
tckithelp
Lurker
Full Name: Wojciech

Post by tckithelp »

Hi All,

We have exact the same issues on few our Hyper-V hosts which are protected by VEEAM.

Martin, did you solved this issue with Microsoft help?