Surebackup on two servers

Hyper-V specific discussions

Surebackup on two servers

Veeam Logoby frankive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:54 am

Isit possible to run surebackup on two servers? we have a customer with a hyper-v cluster, but they don't have enough ram to run full out surebackupjobs.
Is it possible to run the surebackup onver f.ex 2 hyper-v servers? any challenge to the networking part?

edit:
I also see that surebackup takes more and more place while it is running. f.ex a 20 GB hyper-c free partition on a hyper-v host was increasing down to 6-7 GB while running a surebackup job.
What is cuasing this?
frankive
Service Provider

Liked: 86 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Re: Surebackup on two servers

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:39 pm

Hi,

Unfortunately there is no multi-host lab configuration for Hyper-V. You can try to split the job into two separate and sync them, is that an option?

May I ask you which server did you specify as a mount server in the settings of the repository where the backups reside at?

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 247 times

Veeam Logoby frankive » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:36 pm

will tro the sync.

the repository says the veeam server itself is the mounting server. I was hoping all writing was performed to that server and not the hyper-v host itself.
Could it be the paged memory growing with the addition of the vm in the surebackup running perhaps?
frankive
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:49 pm

Could it be the paged memory growing with the addition of the vm in the surebackup running perhaps?
It might be. It's worth checking the page file size before and after SureBackup.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby frankive » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:21 am

it seems it is the .avhdx files that is growing.

Is it ok to but the veeam virtual lab on the veeamserver itself, and still use the production hyper-v servers as host for the surebackup vms?
frankive
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby PTide » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:41 pm

I've double-checked something. That's a snapshot file. Every time a VM is started directly from a backup (instant recovery/surebackup) all changes are written into the snapshot. So mount server location has nothing to do with the problem, sorry for confusion.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby frankive » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:18 pm

just for the record, i guess the snapshot file always will be on the hyper-v host the vm are started in the surebackup for performance?
frankive
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Mike Resseler » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Frank,

Correct. And as Pavel said, the avhdx is the "differencing" disk where all the changes are written. When you stop the job, it literally discards the changes that happened (as in... it throws away the AVHD(X)

Cheers
Mike
Mike Resseler
Veeam Software

Liked: 362 times
Location: Belgium, the land of the fries, the beer, the chocolate and the diamonds...
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Veeam Logoby PTide » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:04 pm

Another thing to keep in mind - avhdx files are also created during replication jobs, if you're going to use replication then I'd recommend you to either expand the existing storage where VMs' virtual disks reside on or to move the virtual disks to a storage with a higher capacity. Backup jobs can create avhdx files (depends on the version of Hyper-V) as well, so expanding an existing storage won't hurt anyway. If an avhdx gets too big and no free space left on the device the whole job will fail. Although older Hyper-Vs (2008R2, 2012) do not create avhdx during the backup and use shadow copy instead, they still might crash due to the same reasons.

Thanks
PTide
Veeam Software

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V