Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
dali@iae.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Da Li

SureBackup ping test failed on 2nd and 3rd network card

Post by dali@iae.nl »

Have a VM with 3 network cards. The 1st does have a gateway, the 2nd and 3rd not of course.
The first ping test with the masquarade address of the range for the 1st network card works with succes.
But how can the ping test succeed on the other 2 network cards if they does not have a gateway? What am I missing?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: SureBackup ping test failed on 2nd and 3rd network card

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I don't think that it is possible. The ping test goes from a different network, therefore gateway is required. Probably, you could add this VM into the Application Group and select the option "Keep the application group running after the job completes" in Application Group settings to perform the necessary tests manually on the VM running in Virtual Lab.

Thanks!
dali@iae.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Da Li

Post by dali@iae.nl »

So your conclusion is that this cannot work automatically work with any VM with more than 1 network card?
I only need the first network card to succeed the ping test. The other 2 are dummies for license software with fixed MAC address. But I cannot exclude the 2nd and 3rd network card for the tests.
And the Guide says that the predefined Tests will only do the test on 1 network card but which one is unpredicatable.
Any feature request where to select the network card and which Test will be done on which network card?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

The ping test cannot work in principle if you don't have the gateway configured for networks 2 and 3 on the production VM. The reason is that ping goes from a different network, in our case the one in which Veeam B&R is located. However, ping test will be running for the mapped network only, it will not try to check two other networks if these networks are not mapped in Virtual Lab. For example on this page you can find more information in regards to stabilization algorithms, in particular stabilization by IP:
Veeam Backup & Replication waits for an IP address of the VM for mapped networks that is sent by VMware Tools running in the VM.
Thanks!