Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DanielTaylor350
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Daniel Taylor

Test Restore to difference Host Server 2022 doesn't boot due to Key Protector Could not be unwrapped

Post by DanielTaylor350 »

Posted on the Community Discussion board but also suggested to post here.

https://community.veeam.com/discussion- ... #post44168

Have a workround that works just interested if I have missed a setting / configuration.

Just moving over from Hornet / Altaro to Veeam 12 Community Edition.

Set up is in Production have 3 Hosts (2 * MS Server 2016 Hyper-V and 1 * MS Server 2022 Hyper-V) with 9 VM’s between them. Mainly Server 2016 but one Linux and one Server 2022.

All backup every 12 hours onsite and then Backup copy offsite.

Offsite copy is onto a different VM Host with enough oomph and memory / storage to run whole lot in an emergency although PAINFULLY Slowly.

Anyhow have done a test restore and all Server 2016’s and Linux come up fine (Need a couple of re-boots to recognise new Network etc to talk properly to each other.

Server 2022 comes up will not boot due to the Key Protector could not be unwrapped as obviously a different host with different TPM Etc.

If I kill the VM but keep the Virtual HDDs and create a new Virtual machine with same settings it all works but is there any way round this?
nmdange
Veteran
Liked: 142 times

Re: Test Restore to difference Host Server 2022 doesn't boot due to Key Protector Could not be unwrapped

Post by nmdange »

"Key Protector could not be unwrapped" implies you are using a virtual TPM with this VM? Are you using Bitlocker inside the VM? If not, just remove the vTPM. I would only use a virtual TPM if you are protecting your Hyper-V hosts with the Host Guardian Service and running Shielded VMs. Without HGS, to move a VM with a virtual TPM to another host/cluster requires exporting and importing a certificate.