Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
derrick.ritchie
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Derrick Ritchie

Transaction Log Error - Failed to decrypt encryption key DbKey: no valid recovery records available

Post by derrick.ritchie »

Good Morning Everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone had seen this error before in relation to processing transaction logs. Previously the transaction logs had been compressed at the point of the primary backup job each night but we wanted to switch this to every 15 minutes in an effort to provide more consistency across the board.

However when doing this we started to see the following error:

"Failed to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup Details: Failed to decrypt encryption key DbKey: no valid recovery records available
Error occurred while performing SQL Server transaction log backup Details: Failed to decrypt encryption key DbKey: no valid recovery records available"

I have worked with out Database team and confirmed our service account associated with the databases have the correct permissions, and that the encryption key used for the job is stored correctly. Once the job was changed to take the transaction logs every 15 minutes the above error started to occur. I did run another backup at that stage but it was only an incremental, I was wondering if a full would have been required instead?

If anyone has seen this please let me know and what may have fixed it please. If this is not suitable for these boards I am happy to raise a call.

Thanks,
Derrick
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Transaction Log Error - Failed to decrypt encryption key DbKey: no valid recovery records available

Post by foggy »

Hi Derrick, it is suitable provided you share the case ID for this issue (like for any other technical issue). Haven't seen this previously, so the most effective step would be to review the logs with our engineers. Thanks!
mtgj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Michael Gjernes

Re: Transaction Log Error - Failed to decrypt encryption key DbKey: no valid recovery records available

Post by mtgj »

Was this resolved? We just started getting this error after replacing our backup server and migrating the job repository.