Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
chuck.coggins
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Charles R. Coggins III

Transmission pipeline hanged, aborting process.

Post by chuck.coggins »

Case #04665111

Hello all,

I have been running into an issue with one of my VM backups for the last month.
I have Veeam running backups on about 23 VM's and one of these VM's just started to fail with the error: Processing Dynamics Error: Transmission pipeline hanged, aborting process.

I have been unable to search and figure out what is going on.

SCREENSHOT
https://imgur.com/a/KHs7Q72

It kind of sounds like there might be too much going on during this time and the backup is failing because of that.
However, I cannot figure out how to reschedule this backup.
There seems to be no way to change the time this backup begins.

SCREENSHOT
https://imgur.com/IE6MjUR

When I read the documentation it says you should be able to change this in the Job's section, but there are no Jobs as you can see in this Screenshot.

SCREENSHOT
https://imgur.com/JtHvdPe

This software is just driving me nuts.
Veeam Backup and Replication: 9.5.4.2866
soncscy
Veteran
Liked: 312 times
Full Name: Harvey

Re: Transmission pipeline hanged, aborting process.

Post by soncscy »

Hi Charles,

the reason you can't find a schedule is you're doing VeeamZip backups as I see from your screenshots: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

If you're not personally starting these by hand, then you must have some script running that does it, as there is no schedule for VeeamZIP, it's either manual, or Powershell.

I can see you're on HyperV...may I ask, did you install Veeam into the parent partition? (right on the HyperV host itself?) If so, this is a big "no no". The parent partition for HyperV is offlimits as per Microsoft: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archiv ... he-host-os

My guess is that indeed you're just hammering your HyperV server badly, and yes, if you had a VBR server as a VM, it would likely reduce the stress of this.

Since I can see you're on Community (free) edition, try using the Veeam Agent for Windows/Linux (depending on your guestOS) instead. It will be much less stressful I think on the host and likely you'll get more stable backups.
chuck.coggins
Novice

Post by chuck.coggins »

Thank you for your reply Soncscy,

I will check the host server for some PowerShell scripts.
I did not set any of this up so I have just been doing my best with it.

The way we do our Hyper-V and Veeam Backups is we have a bare metal server that runs the main OS.
Then it runs all my servers via Hyper-V.
The bare metal server hosts the Veeam Agent (in almost all cases).

This VM and all the VMs on this server do not have Veeam installed on the Bare Metal server nor is it installed on any of the VM's.
This is another thing that has been confusing me on how it is even being backed up in the first place. You might be right though and there might be scripts running causing this VeeamZIP to run on them.

I will take a look at this server tonight and Windows Task Scheduler and see if I can find anything going on.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

There certainly VeeamZIP backups are running, this is indicated in backup view by corresponding subnode - Disk (VeeamZIP). VeeamZIP produces standalone full backup on demand. It does not have any schedule and the only option to run it on specific time is to use scripts. So, it's a good idea to check Task Scheduler.

As to the issue itself, the root cause might vary from corrupted VM to broken connection to one of the backup components. So, keep working with the support team on identifying the real cause.

Thanks!
chuck.coggins
Novice

Post by chuck.coggins »

I was able to find the Powershell scripts running the VeeamZIP backups yesterday.
I took the script running the backup on those sets of VM's and I switched them to run last night at 8:30 PM when no one would be on doing anything.
I still got the same error, but Hard Disk 1 was added to the end of the error this time.

"Processing finished with errors at 2/25/2021 1:16:01 AM Error: Transmission pipeline hanged, aborting process. Hard disk 1 (136.0 GB)"

So tonight I made a new script and put the Dynamics VM on it all by itself.
The rest of them run at 5 AM but Dynamics will back up on its own at 8:30 PM.
I guess we will see how that goes.
chuck.coggins
Novice

Post by chuck.coggins »

Quick Update:
Still have not been able to resolve the issue.
I put the backup on its own script during a slow time of the day when nothing is going on and I am still getting the error.
Each of the other VM's on that server takes 4-6 mins to backup this one starts at 8:30 PM and fails at 1 AM.
I got an email from the support case from Veeam and they said due to a high volume of tickets they already archived this case so I think I am pretty much on my own.
kevjohnston
Novice

Post by kevjohnston »

Have you had any luck identifying the root cause?

We are experiencing the same thing here.

We are running basic VMware backups instead of VeeamZIP, however.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

This is a generic error which is thrown when target Data Mover stops to retrieve data from a source one. This issue can happen due to many different reasons, the best way to figure out the real root cause is to let our support team to examine debug logs. Please don't forget to share a support case ID.

Thanks!