Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Ash_P
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ash P

VBR Migration

Post by Ash_P »

Hi all,

Hoping for a little clarification please.

I have the following two servers

Server 1 - VBR, DB and storage pool for standard backups
Server 2 (DR site) - Hyper-V storing VM replicas

Having read and realise that the VBR should be in the DR site to make use of the Re-ip etc, I would like to switch the servers to the following...

Server 1 - Backup proxy and storage pool for standard backups (retaining the historical data)
Server 2 (DR site) - VBR, DB and continue to store the replicas

If I use the configuration backup method in the following kb https://www.veeam.com/kb1889, how do I ensure that the full package is removed from Server 1 to free up the license, while retaining the data and then converting it to a proxy?

Also if Server 1 is to remain as the primary storage, do I still need to match the drive letters on the new server?

Server 1 is currently v9.5, do I need to upgrade this first if I want to put v10 on Server2 for the migration?

Many thanks

Ash
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: VBR Migration

Post by wishr »

Hi Ash P,

Welcome to Veeam Community Forums and thanks for posting.

You may uninstall all B&R components from the Server 1 using "Programs and Features", then deploy the proxy component from the newly installed B&R server. You may go ahead with installing v10 on this server because configuration backup of 9.5 Update 4 and 9.5 Update 3 provides compatibility with v10.

Regarding drives matching, could you please clarify what you meant?

Also, you may want to deploy WAN accelerators to improve data transfer performance.

Thanks
Ash_P
Novice

Post by Ash_P »

Thanks for the quick response!

In the config backup process it states to ensure that all the repositories on the old server have matched drive letters on the new one. Is this still the case if the main repository is staying on Server 1?

Also do I need to uninstall the Veeam apps from Server 2 before installing (Backup Transport/Hyper-V integration/Installer Service)?

So if I understand correctly the process is as follows...

Backup config on Server 1
Uninstall VBR on server 1 from Add/Remove
Install full VBR on Server 2 and import backup config
Deploy proxy to Server 1
Add Server 1 repository and it will automatically pickup the data

Thanks

Ash
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You need to preserve the paths on the old server until the configuration is imported, for the new Veeam B&R instance to pick everything up. You do not need to have the same paths on the new server though as the repository itself is not migrated.

You do not need to uninstall the components from the new server, they will be re-used/upgraded by the new installation.
Ash_P
Novice

Post by Ash_P » 1 person likes this post

Thank you, appreciate the info!!