Discussions specific to the Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor
matt_awa
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam backup keeps hitting storage limit

Post by matt_awa » Feb 12, 2019 2:25 am

Can Veeam backup be set to work this way.
Set external NAS as backup location, set to store 30 days worth of backups.
Set a hard limit on the storage space eg. the NAS has 10TB, set Veeam to use 9TB.
If I can successfully store 30 days worth of backups, great. If I don't have enough space then remove the old backups until there's enough space to keep backing up. So I've set it to do 30 days, but say it can only fit 25 days on there, so keep deleting by oldest days until I can get another daily backup done in the 9TB space. Obviously send warnings that it had to delete backups and couldn't backup all 30 days.

Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 593 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Veeam backup keeps hitting storage limit

Post by Mike Resseler » Feb 12, 2019 6:53 am

Hi Matt,

First: Welcome to the forums!
Second:You can use an external NAS as backup location and then configure one or multiple jobs with a retention of 30 (taking into account that you have one retention point per day). We do not have the possibility to set a hard limit on the storage space. However, in your example, a possibility would be to use the SOBR (Scale-out Backup repository) solution and move data out to a capacity tier (object storage) when your NAS hits the limit. Although that might be not what you actually want.
To be honest, I am a bit scared of the approach that you propose. In the end, you probably have agreed on a "SLA" with your management and if you need to keep 30 days then your solution could get you into trouble when there are only 20 and someone needs a file from 25 days ago?

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 409 times

Post by HannesK » Feb 12, 2019 7:02 am

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

A quota for backup like you suggested is not possible out of the box because that would lead to unpredictable retentions which would e.g. violate compliance rules. Second we would need to know about the backup size before which is technically not possible because we cannot predict data reduction rates.

We send warnings per default (at 10% free space) if backup space is getting low. You could decrease the warning value to be informed earlier (general options -> notifications)

You might be able to build something like that with some Powershell scripting. Just reduce the number of restore points for a reverse incremental or forever forward incremental backup chain depending on the "free space" scripted and you should be able to achieve something similar.

Best regards,
Hannes

matt_awa
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by matt_awa » Feb 15, 2019 2:31 am

Thanks for the replies. From a data safety/compliance standpoint I don't agree that when storage space runs out, it's better for the backups to error and just stop working, as opposed to produce a warning, reduce the retention amounts and continue to work, but thanks for letting us know Veeam Backup can't do that.

HannesK
Veeam Software
Liked: 409 times

Post by HannesK » Feb 15, 2019 9:15 am

hmm, maybe something was lost in translation
it's better for the backups to error and just stop working,
that's what we do. If there is no space left, the job fails. We don't reduce restore points. We produce warnings before so that the customer has a chance to fix that earlier.