VEEAM Backup & replication installation on HYPER-V server

Hyper-V specific discussions

VEEAM Backup & replication installation on HYPER-V server

Veeam Logoby pchastagnol » Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:58 am

Hello,
I have a physical server where I plan to install Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V role.
A virtual machine Windows Server 2012 R2 will be created on this server.
This virtual server will have the domain controller role, file server, print, DNS, DHCP ...

I have to set up a backup of the virtual machine with VEEAM Backup & Replication, but I do not have a second server to install VEEAM.
Is it possible to install VEEAM Backup on Hyper-V hypervisor to backup the virtual machines hosted on the same hypervisor and is that it will work correctly ?

The backups will be stored on a NAS server.

I know that the best practice is to install VEEAM on a dedicated physical server for backups, but I do not have a second physical server currently.

Thank you in advance for your answer.

Philippe
pchastagnol
Novice

Liked: never

Re: VEEAM Backup & replication installation on HYPER-V serve

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:41 am 1 person likes this post

Hello Philippe,
Yes, you can deploy Veeam Backup & Replication on a VM of the same hypervisor or on the hypervisor itself.
Backup repository can be also added in the same manner as it would be if you installed VBR on the physical server.
Thank you!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 419 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby foggy » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:58 am 1 person likes this post

pchastagnol wrote:I know that the best practice is to install VEEAM on a dedicated physical server for backups, but I do not have a second physical server currently.

There's actually no such best practice, the best practice is to use off-host backup to shift backup processing from the host to a dedicated machine.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1111 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Veeam Logoby nefes » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:59 am 1 person likes this post

How do you present your NAS? As CIFS share or as mounted disk?
If second, it is better to mount it to hypervisor itself, not to VM inside it.
nefes
Veeam Software

Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Veeam Logoby pchastagnol » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your answers !

The repositoriry backup will be a LUN on the NAS Server. This repository will be added by the Wndows iSCSIconnector on the Hyper-V server.
I can't create a second VM to install VEEAM because I have only 1 Windows server 2012 standard open license that allows me to install windows server 2012 on a physical server + 1 virtual machine.

That's why I want to install VEEAM on the physical server that will ensure the hypervisor role and backup server to back up the virtual machine created on that hypervisor.

So you confirm to me that VEEAM will be able to save the virtual machine in this configuration?

Thank you

Philippe
pchastagnol
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:45 pm 1 person likes this post

Yes, we do confirm. Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby spenny » Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Nikita,

I have a partner asking about Microsoft Licensing implications for Veeam's install based on Microsoft Windows Server 2012R2 STANDARD deployments at Cx sites.

Obviously we can install Veeam on the hypervisor itself but he wants to know if installing Veeam Backup & Replication Server onto the Hyper-V hypervisor physical Windows O/S will consume a Windows Server license, thereby requiring the client purchase an additional Windows Server 2012R2 server license?

Details of Cx environments below if you need.
•A single physical server
•Have purchased 1 copy of Windows Server 2012R2 Standard
•Have installed Microsoft Hyper-V 2012R2 Server as the hypervisor (full GUI)
•Have installed 2x virtual machines with Windows Server 2012R2 operating systems on them

Thanks,
Sam
spenny
Influencer

Full Name: Sam Penny

Veeam Logoby v.Eremin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:12 am

What do you mean when saying that software consumes a server license? Can you elaborate on that? Or you're more interested to know whether or not VB&R can be installed on Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 machine?
v.Eremin
Veeam Software

Liked: 1007 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:28 am

Sam, Veeam B&R doesn`t consume/require an extra Windows Server license.
You can also check system requirements the server on which you plan to deploy VBR should meet. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:30 am

spenny wrote:Obviously we can install Veeam on the hypervisor itself but he wants to know if installing Veeam Backup & Replication Server onto the Hyper-V hypervisor physical Windows O/S will consume a Windows Server license, thereby requiring the client purchase an additional Windows Server 2012R2 server license?

Installing Veeam B&R to Hyper-V hypervisor physical Windows O/S is like installing any other application, not sure why do you have this question.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1123 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby nicold » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:03 am

Hi all,
Perhaps there’s a grey area here in who I should be approaching for an answer to my question. These are purely Microsoft licensing orientated questions: I do know that I can install Veeam on to a physical Microsoft Hyper-V server GUI installation, my question is am I allowed to without violating Microsoft’s licensing requirements as the client is already consuming the Windows Server 2012R2 Standard licenses with the 2x VMs with Windows Server O/Ss on them; the hypervisor is currently just that – a hypervisor running a couple of Windows VMs, we would like to see the hypervisor leveraged further to provide the backup functionality. I can understand that perhaps Veeam is not used to these small scales of Windows Server VMs so maybe this question has not come up before. We love the Veeam product and now with Cloud Connect it’s even better, we are just attempting to bring Veeam Backup & Replication to these smallest-scale clients and wish to understand the potential for additional costs when proposing these solutions to clients.
Wherever you go there you are.
nicold
Service Provider

Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Donny Nicol

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:03 am

Hi Donny,
Thanks for kind words first of all.
As was mentioned above, Veeam Backup and Replication(VBR) doesn`t require any dedicated Windows license. You can have VBR installed on any machine, virtual or physical running Microsoft Windows OS. Regard VBR as an application you install on the device, which doesn`t demand separate machine with the Microsoft license.
Hope it answers your question. Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby PTide » Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:55 am

Hi nicold,

As it is said in Windows Server 2012 R2 Licensing Datasheet on page 4:

When a customer is running all allowed virtual instances,
the physical instance may only be used to manage and
service the virtual instances
. For information about licensing
in virtual environments, see the Microsoft Volume Licensing
Brief: Licensing Microsoft Server Products in Virtual
Environments white paper.

So, I wish that using Veeam products could be considered as a "manage and service the virtual instances", but I'd double check with Micorsoft if you can use third-party products to manage your VMs.

Thank you.
PTide
Veeam Software

Liked: 262 times

[MERGED] Server install choice

Veeam Logoby debeerd » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about what server to install Veeam Backup Enterprise manager and Veeam Backup and Replication.
I have 2 physical Servers, Server 1 is for our Student Management System running on Server 2008R2.
Server 2 is my Hyper-V Host server running Server 2012R2. On server 2 I have 13 Hyper-V servers including Domain controller etc.
Option 1: I install Veeam Backup Enterprise manager and Veeam Backup and Replication on my Hyper-V Host server
Option 2: Create a Hyper-V server and install Veeam Backup Enterprise manager and Veeam Backup and Replication on there
I want to backup all the Hyper-V servers and also the data from the Student Management system.
debeerd
Novice

Full Name: Daniel de Beer

Veeam Logoby foggy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi Daniel, please review answers above. Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Liked: 1111 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Next

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V