Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ccone@vascorltd.com
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Clint Cone

VEEAM cannot see a VM that exists in cluster

Post by ccone@vascorltd.com »

I'm guessing this will become a support ticket, but thought I'd post first to see if anyone has seen this.

Using VEEAM B&R to backup a Hyper-V cluster with about 160 VMs, most work exactly as they should. There is one VM that I cannot add to the job. I can see it in Windows Failover Cluster manager. I can get to it with powershell Get-VM cmdlet executed from the VEEAM server. But when I edit the backup job, it is not listed among the VMs in the cluster. It is also not found when trying to use the VEEAM powershell cmdlets like Find-VBRHvEntity.

Is there any troubleshooting that I can do before opening a ticket?

Thanks!
Clint
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: VEEAM cannot see a VM that exists in cluster

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Clint,
- I would start by checking Veeam version and update to latest first
- then check account used in Veeam to connect to said cluster - make sure its the same account you are using when running "Get-VM" and in Failover Cluster manager.
- try adding a Hyper-V host with that VM as "Standalone Host" type. Will machine be visible in this case?
- finally, its worth giving a shot at manual click on "Rescan" under [Backup Infrastructure] on that cluster and checking logs at C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Utils\ - specifically Util.HVCTPScanner, Util.InfrastructureStatistic and Util.VolumesHostDiscover. If no errors visible there, feel free to open a ticket and share its number in this thread.
/Thanks!
ccone@vascorltd.com
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Clint Cone

Post by ccone@vascorltd.com »

We are on the latest version, v9.5 update 4.
I was already pretty sure the account used by VEEAM had permissions, but just to be certain I logged into the VEEAM server with those credentials and was able to see the VM using Get-VM.
The logs looked clean.

I finally decided to try moving the VM to the other node in the cluster... after a rescan, the VM showed up in VEEAM. I have no idea why that is. The security on both nodes is identical, and the physical VM config/files are on shared storage, so they never actually moved. Guess I should be happy that it is resolved, but I'm confused as to why.

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Glad it worked out, however I am wondering if it will become invisible again by moving VM back to the original host? If it does again it might be worth investigating in detail.