Veeam CBT and Rolling Cluster Upgrades

Discussions specific to Microsoft Hyper-V hypervisor

Veeam CBT and Rolling Cluster Upgrades

Veeam Logoby chris.jones » Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:45 pm

I was planning to perform an upgrade to a Hyper-V cluster at our primary site until I read that Veeam CBT would be disabled during the process. I was expecting the upgrade to take about 2 weeks because it takes time for me to re-image all the physical hosts with Server 2016 and then get maintenance windows scheduled to notify application owners that VMs will need to be shutdown temporarily to upgrade the VM configuration version.

Is it true that I just have to live with the fact that my backup windows will be totally ruined for that 2 week period because of this? Is there a better way to go about this upgrade while still having CBT enabled? Thanks.
chris.jones
Novice

Liked: never

Re: Veeam CBT and Rolling Cluster Upgrades

Veeam Logoby nmdange » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:04 pm

If you can take two physical hosts out of your cluster at once, then you can create a separate 2016 cluster. You can then live migrate individual VMs, just remember to shut them down as soon as you have a maintenance window to update the VM configuration version otherwise Veeam won't be able to use the new Hyper-V 2016 RCT (Resilient Change Tracking). This is how I did my upgrade and it worked pretty well. It also lets you test 2016 thoroughly with non-production VMs before moving your most critical VMs.
nmdange
Expert

Liked: 71 times

Re: Veeam CBT and Rolling Cluster Upgrades

Veeam Logoby chris.jones » Thu May 17, 2018 5:37 pm

nmdange wrote:If you can take two physical hosts out of your cluster at once, then you can create a separate 2016 cluster. You can then live migrate individual VMs, just remember to shut them down as soon as you have a maintenance window to update the VM configuration version otherwise Veeam won't be able to use the new Hyper-V 2016 RCT (Resilient Change Tracking). This is how I did my upgrade and it worked pretty well. It also lets you test 2016 thoroughly with non-production VMs before moving your most critical VMs.

Thanks for the reply, but this seems kind of ridiculous. I shouldn't have to build a separate cluster just to prevent issues with my round-the-clock backup windows. How is this being handled in larger enterprises with hundreds or even thousands of VMs?
chris.jones
Novice

Liked: never

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V