Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
arsagera
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Veeam Fails to start after upgrade to v12

Post by arsagera »

We had VB&R and it worked fine for a few years. We use it for backup 2 VMs from Microsoft Hyper-V server (free product also). Then I decided to upgrade VB&R to version 12, and it stop working with this error: "One or more critical product files have been modified. Please roll back changes or reinstall the product." I hit OK and console is closing. I tried to uninstall v12 and install v11 again, but it can't connect to MS SQL instance. Then I uninstall v11 and install v12 and it creates PostGres SQL instance. But the error still exists. What could I do with that?

Case #06172374
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Veeam Fails to start after upgrade to v12

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

Please continue working with our support team, it does not look like as a known problem and our possibility to troubleshoot the technical issues over the forum posts is very limited.

Thanks!
arsagera
Novice

Post by arsagera »

New details. After I install v11, I had problem with "Failed to create database VeeamBackup. Create failed for Database 'VeeamBackup'."
Solution already exists and described here: veeam-backup-replication-f2/failed-to-c ... 32288.html

Now, when I try to add Hyper-V server (which backuped fine before my upgrade attempts) - I receive following:
Backup server version 11.0.1.1261 is not compatible with Installer service on 'hostname'.

But I already uninstalled Veeam components from my server. What is the problem?
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I think our support engineers will be able to define the best action plan for troubleshooting, please continue working with them.

Thanks!
arsagera
Novice

Post by arsagera » 1 person likes this post

Well. Perhaps this will be useful to someone. The support did not answer, the case was closed. I had to resolve the issue myself. Quite by accident I noticed that after installing v12, there was a message that it was installed 'partially'. After reading about 20 log files, in one of them, in the middle of the file, I found an error that there was not enough disk space. It turned out that the installation requires at least 30GB and therefore the cumulative patch was not installed, which caused the error "One or more critical product files have been modified". After adding the disk space, I installed the cumulative patch manually and the error disappeared.
Therefore, my wishes to the developers:
a) check for available disk space before installation (this is a basic feature and I wonder it not exist)
b) report installation errors more clearly.

Thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

As stated in our support policy, free license customers have support via web or email only on a best-effort basis. Apparently, your case was closed due to a high load on the support team but please keep in mind that every attempt to open a case increases the chances to get support.

Both requests above ( a) and b) ) are absolutely valid, I'll share it with the team.

Thanks!
OskarL
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Oskar Larsson

Post by OskarL »

Than yoarsagera!
I had the same issue. The Veeam 12 installation/upgrade finished with the message "Upgrade succeeded partially", referring to the installation log files to find more info...
After some searching in the many files I found this in one of the log files "15:00:41.1985 *** ERROR *** There is not enough space on the disk."
Please Veeam developers, introduce a space check and report errors in a better way.
OskarL
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Oskar Larsson

Post by OskarL »

I should also be a good thing to be able to re-run the upgrade after freeing up the required space. I can't find out if some components or hotfixes are missing after the failed upgrade.
ksl28
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Kristian Leth

Post by ksl28 »

I can confirm that this is still an issue, and the log drops this message:
System.IO.IOException: There is not enough space on the disk.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalCopy(String sourceFileName, String destFileName, Boolean overwrite, Boolean checkHost)
at HotFix.FileOperation.InstallNewFile()
at HotFix.HotFixOperation.Install()

Thanks for the heads up :)
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Post by DanielJ »

No installation should ever be left in a "partially successful" state. Either successful or failed followed by a rollback. If this would be a "new feature" then please count this as a +1 towards such a feature request.
arsagera
Novice

Post by arsagera »

Well, in this case "partially successful" means "failed", because program do not work. And Itss very strange behavior for such mature product
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I appreciate everyone's feedback, we'll discuss these issues to improve our behavior in future versions. I cannot give ETA at the moment.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

We research the issue but we'd like to know whether you @DanielJ @ksl28 @OskarL tried opening support cases for it? If yes, please share support case ID-s. It could help us to find the root cause faster.

Thanks!
ksl28
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Kristian Leth

Post by ksl28 » 1 person likes this post

Hi,

I never created a support case for this, since i was experiencing this on the community edition.
But its fairly easy to reproduce - just download the newest version of VBR with a patch included.
Then ensure you have enough space for the Veeam installation + approx 5-10GB on the disk you try to install it on.
The installation will then fail, even if there is enough space on the disk :)
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

In 12.1, we'll show the recommended amount of free space in the wizard, we expect that it will help to solve most of the issues related to the lack of free space.

Thanks!