Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Marcus
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Marcus MaC

Veeam Offsite Backups

Post by Marcus »

Hi All,
I have a question re off site backups?
Currently I am using veeam enterprise B&R 9.5.
I am backing up my four hyper V VM's to a local Nass box.
I was looking at backing it up using cloud connect ( by using a Service provide)I find it very expensive £££
My 4 vms are 2.1 TB provisioned size and 1.4 used space.
Can you recommend another option??
I currently restore the VM’s to a recovery server I have set up.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam Offsite Backups

Post by foggy »

Hi Marcus, have you compared the prices between different service providers? Pricing varies significantly between them.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1262 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Marcus,

As Foggy says, please compare a few service providers. The prices can indeed vary and most probably the type of service that they offer also.

Another possibility to get your VM's offsite is by setting up a repository in AWS or Azure or similar and sent the data over there. That will mean though that you are fully responsible for the maintaining of that "infrastructure" yourself.
Last but not least there is still the option of tapes or using rotating devices.

There are different options, but if you make the price calculation, make sure you keep everything in mind such as the additional work that needs to be done on your side and the cost of recovery.

My 2 cents
Mike
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Post by jochot »

Hey,

I came to the same point as you did.
CloudConnect is expensive, but that is because it's not just simple storage you store your data in, in my offer they would host my VM if mine goes down, so it's more a 24/7 provider.

You can check Amazon Glacier for simple offsite backup, it takes longer to restore (you might have to wait up to 12h depending on what you buy) but it's "simple" storage and works with Veeam as as a Tape library (I think, didn't yet use it, I checked it some time ago)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Kindly, leverage Glacier wisely, use it mostly for long-term backup data that is likely to stay unclaimed. Otherwise, it might be worth considering different option as in case of Glacier restore timeout and price might surprise you. Thanks.
jochot
Expert
Liked: 5 times

Post by jochot »

I think glacier would be for likely unclaimed data, as we have onside and offside Backup.
Glacier would be additional, so if I need to get backupdata from glacier, our HQ and our Datacenter would be burned down (I find that unlikely, and when it happens, we need to wait to order new hardware anyway, so time is not important here)
What do you mean with "leverage Glacier wisely"? (I do not know what leverage means in this sentence, sorry)
and "restore timeout" -> time to restore?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2249 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

leverage Glacier wisely
I meant that you have to use Glacier cautiously, understanding pros and cons this solution has.
and "restore timeout" -> time to restore?
The data cannot be restored immediately, first you need to place a data request order. Depending on the specified policy, order processing might take from minutes to hours. Check this article for more information.

Thanks.
spgsit5upport
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Seb

Post by spgsit5upport »

I was checking the same, and any service provider came too expensive.
So it was cheaper to rent from my ISP 1/4 rack in they DR Datecentre, partition the bandwidth for dedicated connection, stick my own gear in Datacentre, do the Replication/Backup jobs pointing to DC storage

And it came cheaper & I have full control over it!
marcush
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcus Holzer

Post by marcush »

How much space do you really need for offsite backup copies? Is it based on what is in my Data Domain which is highly deduplicated?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Marcush,

It is most likely not going to be the same. If cloud connect providers would offer these backups on data domains, then the price per GB will probably be higher as the cost is also higher for them. So you need to take the real space into account when storing data with a cloud connect provider.
marcush
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Marcus Holzer

Post by marcush »

But is there a way to send the deduplicated backups to the cloud? How do I estimate the correct amount of storage required?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

You can indeed sent those deduped backups to the cloud, but the data will be rehydrated. Calculating the size can be done by using the restore point simulator created by one of our engineers: http://rps.dewin.me/