Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
jdalais
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: nd

Veeam v9 with VNX 5200 Hardware VSS [Windows 2012 R2]

Post by jdalais »

Hello,

We have just upgraded to V9 for the EMC Snapshot Integration but we failing to get it working properly.
Veeams fails to perfom the snapshot when using the EMC VSS Provider. The environment is composed of 4 2012R2 Hyper-V host (Cluster) and 1 2012R2 Hyper-V Offhost Proxy. They are all mapped via iSCI on a VNX5200.
So far we have been following this thread :-http://forums.veeam.com/microsoft-hyper ... 12413.html . The packages that was installed on the environment are as follows :-

snapviewenabler-01.01.5.002-xpfree.ena > Installed on VNX 5200
Unisphere Host Agent > HyperV Host
Solution Enabler 8.1 > HyperV Host
ADMSNAP > HyperV Host
NAVICLI > HyperV Host

The SYMCFG AUTH commands have already been executed on all the hosts.
Does any one knows the steps required for performing Hardware Snaps on the VNX via Windows 2012R2? :roll:
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam v9 with VNX 5200 Hardware VSS [Windows 2012 R2]

Post by foggy »

Jonathan, you didn't mention it, so I thought I'd ask - have you installed the EMC VSS Provider on the off-host proxy as well? If you feel everything is configured correctly and still cannot succeed with the backup, I recommend contacting support for verification of your setup. Thanks!

(Btw, integration with storage snapshots is native for Hyper-V (via hardware VSS providers) and was available in previous Veeam B&R versions. What v9 adds is the ability to do backups from EMC storage snapshots for VMware.)
jdalais
Lurker
Full Name: nd

Post by jdalais »

Hello Alex,

Yes, we have already installed all on the component on the Off-host proxy as well. Even Onhost Backup with hardware VSS is not working.
The EMC VSS Provider is bundled in the Solution Enabler and as been installed on all hosts and proxy as well.
We already have a case with Veeam support Case # 01672110
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Then I recommend asking engineer to take a closer look at your setup via webex session (as far as I can get from the case, this has not been done yet).
bhoevelmann
Novice
Full Name: Björn Hövelmann

Post by bhoevelmann »

I'm in the same situation, but i may have some more informations regarding this hardware setup.

We too have a HYper-V Cluster consisting of 4 Hyper-V 2012-R2 Hosts and 1 (planned) OffHost Proxy.
Our Storage System is a VNX 5200 using iSCSI too.

According to the Release Notes of Solutions Enabler 8.1 the VNX/Claiiron Hardware is not supported since Version 8.0
http://d.pr/i/17mPL/1OSALhnm

The last VSS Provider which is supported with VNX is Version 4.7.1 which states the following:
http://d.pr/i/EMHH/4NXunSmu

no sign of R2 there...

Maybe you could test the VSS Provider 4.7.1 in your Configuration and see if that helps.

If they bundled it with Solutions Enabler prior to V8 then you should use Solutions Enabler V7.6.2 (which is the last Relase in the 7.6.x Series)
http://d.pr/i/QxAo/4sOHKrp8

Would be great if you could stay in contact here to share the results.

We haven't started the install of Solutions Enabler, so it would be best if you could test it on your already configured Systems.
WStoffel
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Will Stoffel

Post by WStoffel » 1 person likes this post

I have a similar setup:

16 node hyper-v cluster (Dell M630's) --> iscsi to a VNX 5800

Currently using:

Provider name: 'EMC VSS Hardware Provider'
Provider type: Hardware
Provider Id: {04aaf00b-f272-4449-ae63-e8ac935a102c}
Version: 4.7.1.0

Let me know if you need help getting up and running. I was a real challenge.

-Will
bhoevelmann
Novice

Post by bhoevelmann »

i would gladly take any advice on how to get this running.

In the meantime, we did open an RPQ (Request for Product Qualification) with EMC for the Hardware VSS Provider in conjunction with a VNX5200 and HyperV 2012 R2.

Here is the Result:
“I’m approving this with the following;

Customer will need to download this version of SE to successfully work with VSS 4.7.1 as it has been tested for this setup. It can be downloaded here *URL*
some provisions on this
We have verified the RPQ in hyper-V [hyperV guest & host] with Windows 2012R2 and the fix is working fine.
We have verified the RPQ in Physical host with Windows 2012R2 & ensured basic tests are working fine.

However, we have observed certain issues on ESXi platforms. These issues will lead to the kit not being eligible to be used on ESXi platforms.”
They added a special version of their Solutions Enabler -> se762102-WINDOWS-x64-VSS.exe for which they approved the compatibility.

If there is interest in this version of Solutions Enabler, it can be uploaded somewhere.

As stated above, any advice on how to Setup EMC Hardware VSS on Hyper-V 2012R2 with VEEAM would help.

Thanks in advance.
staylor106
Lurker

Post by staylor106 »

If you can upload it somewhere I would like to give it a try, I actually had a VNX5300 working with Veeam 8 but when I replaced it with a VNX5200 for FDE I have not been able to get it working again due to the Microsoft snapshot errors.
bhoevelmann
Novice

Post by bhoevelmann »

Here is the File:

se762102-WINDOWS-x64-VSS.zip: https://d.pr/157rq/5RyhTj6b

i hope it helps.