Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
DavidDarts
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: David Dartnell

VHD Restoration did not work as expected?

Post by DavidDarts »

Hi Everyone,

I am running a Hyper-V Hyper-Visor and multiple VMs. One of my VMs acts as a File Server, and it has several Virtual Hard Drives mounted.

Recently the File Server experienced some data loss on one of the VHDs so I made the decision to Restore the entire VHD using VEEAM (Backup & Replication).

The process that I followed in VEEAM was as follows -

1). Clicked on Restore
2). Chose VM files (VHD,...)
3). Clicked on Next
4). Double clicked the Job name
5). Selected the Virtual Machine
6). Clicked on Next
7). Selected one of the Available restore points
8 ). Clicked on Next
9). Selected the Server (Hyper Visor)
10). Browsed to the folder path for the VHD
11). Selected the VM files to restore

Restoration started normally, and after eight hours of steady progress the job stopped. As far as VEEAM was concerned the operation was a complete success. However upon looking at the contents on the File Server I noticed that the files which were originally missing were in fact still missing (despite the fact that they were contained within the VEEAM Restore Point, something that I determined earlier).

I did not unmount the VHD from the running File Server (VM) before proceeding with the Restoration. My only conclusion is that I should have first unmounted the VHD in question by powering down the File Server VM, unmounting the VHD, restarting the File Server and then finally performing the Restoration operation in VEEAM.

I will be making another attempt to restore tonight, but will first unmount the VHD in question. What I am wondering is whether unmounting is technically required before performing a restore, and if it is why VEEAM does not issue a warning before commencing with the restore operation?

Any help and or opinions here will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

David
alanbolte
Veteran
Liked: 174 times
Full Name: Alan Bolte

Re: VHD Restoration did not work as expected?

Post by alanbolte »

If it spent 8 hours writing something I'm pretty sure it created a VHD(x) file somewhere. If you can't immediately see where (perhaps there's a duplicate with a slightly different name?) you can create a support case to have the debug logs checked. Note that restoring a VHD file doesn't automatically attach that file to a VM.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: VHD Restoration did not work as expected?

Post by foggy »

DavidDarts wrote:10). Browsed to the folder path for the VHD
Right, check that path and attach the restored disk to the VM manually.