Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
abp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Petersen

VMM tags not working correctly in scheduled jobs

Post by abp »

Hi,

We've just upgraded VBR to 10a, since then we've had some weird issues with our jobs, I've opened a ticket (05342212), but it's like talking to a wall...

A little about our environment, we have multiple Hyper-V cluster running 2012r2 to 2019 all being managed by VMM 2016, VM's are assigned to BJs by tags in VMM, this was working mostly flawless in 9.5b4 (you had to re-open VBR console to show new VM's added to the tags).

The issue is that we have one job for our SQL servers that for some reason only finds and processes 3 VM's when it's run at it's scheduled time, if I run the job manually all 78 VM's are found and processed.

Just after the upgrade we had the issue with some of our other jobs aswell, but this has since went away from a combination of things (re-scanning VMM, removing the tags from the jobs and re-adding them, etc.), none of this works for the SQL job, I don't know if it has anything to do with APP, but this is our only job using tags and APP.

Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Alex
Best regards,
Alex
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: VMM tags not working correctly in scheduled jobs

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

As you say in the case, that the job is working fine if you start it manually... I see two ways:
1) continue working with support to find the reason (the "talk to manager" button should help to get rid of the "talking to a wall")
2) build a workaround: CAUTION - I don't know your environment and dependent jobs. So this is just an idea! Create a new job and map it to the old backup data. Dependent job (backup copy etc. need to be also adjusted then)

I would probably go for option 1.

Best regards,
Hannes
abp
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Petersen

Re: VMM tags not working correctly in scheduled jobs

Post by abp »

Hi Hannes,

I've built a temporary workaround by just running the job using powershell and a scheduled task, this also seems to do the trick, but I'd like a more permanent solution.

I'll continue working with support for now.

Best Regards,
Alex
Best regards,
Alex