Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
ravelin
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kenneth Westergaard

vPower settings for HyperV backups?

Post by ravelin »

Hi
My setup is as follows:
HQ with 2 HyperV servers in cluster connected to SAN with SAS controllers.
Branch Office with Windows 2008R2 server, with 9Tb internal sata drive.

I want to minimise the time it takes to make a backup.
Incrementals are done in 6-8 hours over the WAN to CIFS share.
Specificly it takes "forever" to make a full synthetic backup on a remote CIFS share. I reached 14% in 50+ hours :(
I just want to be sure before I buy a server for the branchoffice.

As far as I can understand, I need to configure the backup repository on the branch office server to use vPower.
Im confused though, because as far as I understand, vPower is a VWWare technology?
Is it not possible with HyperV to have a proxy in branch office to do all the calculations and read/writes?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: vPower settings for HyperV backups?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Kenneth,
ravelin wrote:As far as I can understand, I need to configure the backup repository on the branch office server to use vPower.
Actually, it is not required for Hyper-V at all. What you need to do to speed things up is to deploy either Windows backup repository or backup proxy server and configure it as it is described in this thread.
ravelin wrote:Im confused though, because as far as I understand, vPower is a VWWare technology?
vPower NFS is used for VMware environments only. vPower for Hyper-V does not require NFS server. As to the vPower itself, then it is Veeam technology which is used in SureBackup jobs, Instant VM Recovery etc.
ravelin wrote:Is it not possible with HyperV to have a proxy in branch office to do all the calculations and read/writes?
It is possible, please take a look at the link I've posted above.

Hope this helps!