Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Waiting for the next task

Post by Shralok »

PROBLEM:
I created an Incremental job to back up a VM every 6 hours. I checked the box to have the job start after creation, but now it is stuck in "Pending" status in the job Statistics.

Is it going to wait for 6 hours or is it waiting for something else? I am sitting at over 11 minutes now and 0% completed.

This is a new installation and I am testing things so go easy on me :mrgreen:

THANKS!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Waiting for the next task

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Eric,

Welcome to Veeam Community forums!

Could you please tell me what is the number of concurrent tasks allowed for your backup proxy and repository servers? You can check this number via proxy/repository configuration settings (see our User Guide on page 18 for additional info).

Thanks!
Shralok
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Shralok

Post by Shralok »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Welcome to Veeam Community forums!

Could you please tell me what is the number of concurrent tasks allowed for your backup proxy and repository servers? You can check this number via proxy/repository configuration settings (see our User Guide on page 18 for additional info).

Thanks!
It is currently set at 4.

In order to get it working again, I had to remove the Virtual Network Adapter that I created during the Hyper-V role installation. The Hyper-V role installation was required for using my Veeam server as the proxy, which I want to do. However, Veeam is currently using my Hyper-V host as the proxy.

I -think- I'll have to figure out how to get that Virtual Network Adapter configured correctly before I can use my Veeam server as a proxy.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Just to make sure I understand your setup correctly...you're currently using an on-host proxy server which is installed on your Hyper-V host and would like use an off-host proxy instead, right?

If you would like to use the off-host proxy server you need to make sure your new proxy meets the following requirements:
User Guide wrote:• The role of an offhost backup proxy can be assigned only to a Microsoft Windows 2008 Server R2 machine (either physical or virtual) with the Hyper-V role enabled since the
offhost backup proxy requires interaction with VSS components.
• The offhost backup proxy must have access to the shared storage where VMs to be backed up or replicated are hosted.
• To create and manage volume shadow copies on the shared storage, you must install a VSS hardware provider that supports transportable shadow copies on the offhost proxy and the Hyper-V host. The VSS hardware provider is usually distributed as a part of client components supplied by the storage vendor.
Based on your second post I can see that you have enabled a Hyper-V role, but what about other prerequisites? Can you please verify that you have everything set up correctly before trying to use an off-host proxy server?

Thanks!