Windows 8 Hyper-V

Hyper-V specific discussions

Windows 8 Hyper-V

Veeam Logoby kslocum » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:17 pm

I am attempting to install Veeam Backup and Replication 6.5 on my Windows 8 machine that is also a Hyper-V host. When I try to add this local Windows 8 Hyper-V host from the console I get a warning/error that says "Windows 8 is not supported for this role". It was my understanding that 6.5 brought Windows 8 compatibility. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? Thanks!
kslocum
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Kevin Slocum

Re: Windows 8 Hyper-V

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:01 pm

kslocum wrote:It was my understanding that 6.5 brought Windows 8 compatibility

That is not so. Please review the System Requirements section of the Release Notes document for the complete list of supported hypervisors.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Liked: 2348 times

Veeam Logoby kslocum » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks Gostev. Do you anticipate Veeam adding support for Windows 8 Hyper-V? The new Windows 8 Hyper-V is fantastic and is quickly becoming my primary lab environment. I would be happy to pay for such support/functionality as I am sure others will as its use grows.
kslocum
Novice

Full Name: Kevin Slocum

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:17 am

Depends on the number of requests. Another platform to test is significant overhead for QC process, so we won't go for it unless there is a big demand.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jeffs8247 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 pm

Hi Guys,

I would also like it if Veeam supported Windows 8. It'd certainly make my life alot easier being Win 8 Hyper-V is 3.0 as the same as Windows 2012 minus a few goodies.

From a technical point of view (which i'm probably wrong) shouldnt the coding be fairly similar between both products? I'd also be more than happy to be a guinea pig if the option is there?

Thanks guys,

Jeff
Jeffs8247
Lurker

Full Name: Jeff S

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Hi Jeff, while technical side might look almost the same, the QC factor is still very important. Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts on that!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1097 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby cmonspike » Tue Dec 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Hello Veeam,

Can you PLEASE provide support for backing-up a Windows 8 Hyper-V host, P L E A S E !!!
I have lots of scenarios with my customers that require this and I don't want to send them to another vendor, or should I ???

Thanks!
cmonspike
Lurker

Full Name: Cmon Spike

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi, can you please elaborate what are those scenarios that require Windows 8 Hyper-V to be used? Thanks.
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby marc_al » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:50 am

Hello,

I am for the support of windows 8 too :)
Here is an example of why I need Hyper-v on a Win8 computer (laptop).
My development machine is virtual (Hyper-v). If I have a problem with my computer, I can simply change the computer and import the virtual machine (no re installation... I can change a computer in a few hours).

When I do some tests (deployment), I have a completely empty virtual machine (only Windows installed (no patch)) and I can do a test. When it is done I restore a snapshot. After that I also have a completely updated machine (all the patches installed) and I can do the tests and see if it is working.
With the snapshots I can simply switch from one to the other machine.
As the computer is a laptop I can work anywhere even with no internet to solve the problem (and only connect to give an update when u bug is solved)

Marc
marc_al
Lurker

Full Name: Marc Allard

Veeam Logoby Gostev » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:52 pm

Hello Marc,

Well, for development environments on laptop, periodic online backup is both unneeded, and mostly impossible. First, you can simply use snapshots for checkpoints, and regular file copy of powered off VM to create "proper" backup to another storage. Also, because (just as you mention), you work anywhere with your laptop, it will too often be disconnected from your corporate network, thus not even giving Veeam backup management server a chance to kick off the backup task.

And as far as bigger and more "proper" development environments using servers instead of laptops as a host, there is simply no sense to build those on a desktop OS when there is free Hyper-V Server available, which we do fully support.

Thanks!
Gostev
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby marc_al » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:53 am

Hello,

This is what I do at the moment : I stop the VM and then I do an exportation (it lasts 30-40 minutes) and then I make a compression (7-zip) and I copy the file in an external storage (or in the network when I am in the office).
The thing that seemed interesting with Veeam backup was that all the steps were done while the machine was online

Marc
marc_al
Lurker

Full Name: Marc Allard

Veeam Logoby 9swampy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:16 am

Bump. I've just built my new Dev environment on a Win8 box, didn't realise Veeam wasn't going to work on it; "Windows 8 is not supported for this role". Please add Win8 support!
9swampy
Lurker

Full Name: Justin Buchanan

Veeam Logoby Ruber » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:14 pm

It would be nice to be able to test restore on my Windows 8 machine.
Thanks,
Rune
Ruber
Lurker

Full Name: Rune Berg

Veeam Logoby jrfolkman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm

I would say it would be a benefit for the Sandbox feature. Think of it as a way to compete with VMWare Workstation in the Microsoft world...
Thanks,
Jason
jrfolkman
Novice

Full Name: Jason Folkman

Veeam Logoby EdgarPy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:23 pm

Happy new year for everyone!!!

good afternoon Veeam! So, there is no support about to use the Hyper-V on Windows 8, like an standalone server yet?

thanks in advance!
EdgarPy
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Edgar Vega

Next

Return to Microsoft Hyper-V