Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
Scubastef
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Stefan Janjic

Windows Srv 2019 planned failover through veeam B&R

Post by Scubastef »

Hello,
I run two HPE PROLIANT DL380 gen10 servers as Hyper-V host machines (Primary host on-site and Replica host off-site). 8 x 2.4TB SAS drives total: 2 are in RAID 1 for OS and separate separate Volume for storage / 6 are in RAID 10 for all of the VM's and VHD's etc.
Recently discovered a failed drive on the primary in the RAID 10, then after investigation found the off-site also had a failed drive in the RAID 10. So HP has delivered the drive replacements and I intend to replace after hours tonight (11/21/2023). Plan is to start on primary host by planned failover of the VM's to the replica host, so I can power down the primary host replace the drive and let it pick up its RAID 10 config from its partner drive... failback the VM's to primary and go and fix up the replica server after.

Traditionally when I have tested the failover I have run this through Hyper-V on the host machines. I go through a standard manual process 1 vm at a time and have to hope back and forth between the two hosts, so it is not as rapid and smooth as I would like it to be. I am seeing that these planned failovers can be run through by Veeam but since I do not run Replication jobs through Veeam so am curious if this is something I can do through Veeam that would make it easier. I recall testing a failover probably a year and a half ago and thought it worked great but it has been a long time and I cannot recall the procedure. Is there anything in particular I need to do or setup to run the planned failover through Veeam instead of Hyper-V.

Hoping I can save myself a bit of downtime and my own time late this evening.
Thanks,
Stefan
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Windows Srv 2019 planned failover through veeam B&R

Post by PetrM »

Hi Stefan and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

You may refer to this section of our user guide for more information about planned failover. Basically, the requirements are not complicated to follow: a VM must be replicated at least once and its replica must be in state "Ready".

Thanks!