Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
bwestover
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Not getting 7 days

Post by bwestover »

I just installed the free version of monitor to evaluate.

It pulled in history from vCenter, however I am having some problems with the reports. My understanding was that the free version is limited to 7 days of history, however, when I pull up the trend report dialog it is only allowing me to go back a little over an hour.

I am hoping to see that I can get 7 days of history, at the "high resolution" setting for disk, memory, cpu etc.

VMware summarizes the data into 5 minute increments after an hour (maybe 2?), and then into 30 minute increments then 2 hours etc. I want to be able to go back further several days, and still get 20 second intervals. Can Monitor do that?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Not getting 7 days

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello,

Do you see 7 days history while standing on the corresponding resource (CPU, Memory etc.) tab in Veeam Monitor?

By default Veeam Monitor uses these aggregation intervals:
"Past hour" - 20 sec time stamps
"Past day" - 300 sec time stamps
More than one day – 7200 sec for each time stamp

Could you please tell me for how many days would you like to have a "high resolution" data and how are you going to use this data?

Thanks.
bwestover
Enthusiast

Post by bwestover »

I'm sorry, I am able to select past day, and past week in the free version. If I select past month, I get the notice that it is limited to 7 days history.

When I click the report button, I hadn't realized, it was defaulting to today's date, ONE YEAR AGO (woops). Which is why I was seeing the error.

The other question, regarding the resolution. What I would like to be able to do is is look at particular events on certain servers, and see what CPU/Memory/Disk impact they had. So for example, I might need to look at the cpu usage for a 15 minute period last friday for just one VM. 5 minute increments aren't very useful in that case.

I understand keeping records for every 20 second interval, for all objects for all time would probably not be feasible. I'd like to be able to enable "detail" level resolution for certain counters/objects, and maybe select a different retention period for that detail.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

You're correct in thinking that storing more time stamps will increase the database dramatically and all the queries performed against this database might be a bit slow. Choosing certain counters might be a way out, I need to investigate this possibility with our development team.
bwestover
Enthusiast

Post by bwestover »

Thanks for looking into it.

I know slowing down the database, and increasing its size are the reasons behind vCenter's somewhat agressive aggregation of data. However, that is a critical operational database, so it makes sense.

A secondary reporting database could be much bigger, and a little slower and not affect production operations. It could be very useful for detailed analysis. At least having the option for those that wanted/needed it.

Thanks,
Brett