utilization >1hr flattening min/max/avg values

Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting

utilization >1hr flattening min/max/avg values

Veeam Logoby alubel » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Love the product, love how simple it is to connect into a vcenter and tie in with veeam backup etc etc.

However.. a great example of why its not practical for reporting past 1 hour.

we have a box.. cpu spikes every 10 minutes to 100% for 2 minutes then goes back down to <5%.
with a 1 hour view things are pretty much spot on:
Latest: 1.3%
Average: 9.2%
Max: 100%

However, lets look at the whole day.
Latest: 1.3%
Average: 5.11%
Max: 33% :shock:

Even going back 2 hours, and anything past 1 hour gets totally flattened! So its shaving off all my spikes, which are very important to know! is there any way to have this not happen? Im using a tool called Zabbix on this VM and I can stretch this out to 1 year and I still see the Maximum at 100%.

Even setting the custom time to 1 hour interval, 2 hours back, things are flattened. I understand the need to consolidate counters, but averaging them can really take the visibility away from those of us looking at getting real min/max/average trend data greater than 1 hour.
alubel
Influencer

Liked: never
Full Name: Andy

Re: utilization >1hr flattening min/max/avg values

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:52 am

Hello Andy,

Thanks for the feedback.

Veeam Monitor is mostly used for real-time troubleshooting, that is why you see spikes in the last hour reports only. Just out of curiosity could you tell me what time interval would you like to use for keeping non-aggreagated data?

You can increase the default value with the help of support utility, just contact our technical team for the assistance with this.

Please note that adjusting a non-aggregated data time period will increase your database size, as more counters will be stored for a defined period of time, besides you would need more RAM on your SQL server compared to our default requirements.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1120 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby fredbloggs » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:17 pm

I think what Andy is trying to say is, the maximum value for the past hour is 100%, the maximum value for the past 2 hours is 100%, in fact the maximum value from present for the complete history is 100%. Just keeping the maximum value stored sholuld be possible.

I would like to see this added as well.

If you resolve the issue (say ten days ago) then obviously the max value for the past week wouldn't report it, but the maximum value for the past month would. This can also help to show where improvements have been found.

Maximum's are maximums,
No issues with Averages :)

The only real problem I can see is, you get
fredbloggs
Service Provider

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:15 am

Well...saving maximum values for a defined period of time will cause a DB growth and will require more system resources, but anyway thanks for the feedback, we'll see what we can do here.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby alubel » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm

I found a neat little utility called "SvcTuning.exe" - is that where I would increase some value to get say 24 hours of un-trended/unaveraged performance data? Which setting do I increase? I was looking for something with the value of 3600 but I dont see it. Is there any documentation for this executable perhaps? I see some settings that look interesting :)

As far as performance impact - I have a dedicated physical machine watching ~50VM's on 1 vcenter with 6 hosts - 4 CPU with 150GB disk so im not sure I should be worried if i want to get 24 hours of "pure" data right?
alubel
Influencer

Full Name: Andy

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Andy,

Congratulations, you have just found our internal support utility for Veeam Monitor :)

There is no documentation for this tool, as every change should be performed under our technical guys guidance, so please contact them directly for assistance.

alubel wrote:As far as performance impact - I have a dedicated physical machine watching ~50VM's on 1 vcenter with 6 hosts - 4 CPU with 150GB disk so im not sure I should be worried if i want to get 24 hours of "pure" data right?

Yes, that should be fine, though you would need at least 4 GBs of RAM on this server as well.

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

[MERGED] veeamONE strange performance values

Veeam Logoby michaelB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Hello,

I have installed veeamONE 2 days ago to monitor our companies ESXi Cluster and B&R Server. It seems like all is properly configured and working fine, but when i saw the performance views I noticed strange values. For example the maximum Datastore I/O Usage value for a virtualmaschine "x" for the past day is 1000. Now if I switch to the past week view, the maximum is just 200. Switch to past month view and the maximum is 50, and so on. In my world the maximum schould be still 1000, right? I got this behavior in all my performances views.
We are using Version 8.0.0.1569 ...
michaelB
Novice

Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Michael Borchers

Re: veeamONE strange performance values

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:27 pm

Hello Michael,

Your reasoning is correct. Let me explain how Veeam ONE aggregates performance values.
It collects 20-second samples from ESXi and shows it during the day or so(depends on the settings), then it aggregates 20-second values to 5-minutes intervals and shows the average value and so on up to 2-hour averages. At the same time Veeam ONE remembers the max. sample value, which was 1000 in your case.

Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Liked: 417 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Veeam Logoby michaelB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:11 pm

Thanks for merging!
So, I have the same problem. I also think a maximum should be always a maximum. The answer "veeam Monitor ist mostly used for real-time troubleshooting" is a bit to less for me and is not what your advertisement promise in my opinion. Seems like I can't find this little support utility, but I'll contact your technical team :(
michaelB
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:27 pm

Michael, you can modify registry to postpone those aggregations, but you can`t get rid of them, since it will overfill your database at once.
You still have historical data and aggregation looks reasonable here.
Could you specify a kind of behavior you expected from Veeam ONE here? Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby michaelB » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:06 pm

I would expect always a real maximum and not the maximum auf the averages. Like descriped in this topic before. Actuall veeamONE is flattening the values.
michaelB
Novice

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:43 pm

I see your point, Michael.

We do keep the max. value of each counter. If it`s above the defined threshold, a corresponding alarm will be triggered and show you the value.
Another way is to generate the Custom performance report or its Raw version with 5-minutes values and min max in the end.

Thanks again for the feedback, we will think over the issue.
Shestakov
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:01 pm

michaelB wrote:I would expect always a real maximum and not the maximum auf the averages. Like descriped in this topic before. Actuall veeamONE is flattening the values.

Can you please tell us what minimum interval for this value should be used, 1 day or something else? If VM reboots, then it maximizes CPU usage to 99%, so keeping this value according to the retention policy might be an overkill.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby ccatlett1984 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:08 pm

I will add this comment, the way averaging is computed, gives false data with the undersized/oversized vm reports.
ccatlett1984
Enthusiast

Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Chris Catlett

Veeam Logoby michaelB » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:45 am 1 person likes this post

Ok, I'll just try to explain what I'm doing with veeamONE actually.
We have a new VMware infrastructur with new Servers(ESXi hosts) and new datastores. The datastores have different performance features. The first half of them have a really good IOPS performance and average throughput. The other half is the opposite and have really good throughput performance and averagy IOPS. Now I'm analyzing with veeamONE which datastore is the best for each VM. It would be easy to say "store all database VMs to the first datastore and all like filetransfer VMs to the second", but our case is not that simple. Our VMs are performing differently and often they use their full ressources only for a short period of time(5min-2hours). Even if its a short period of time it is really important for us that the VMs get as much performance as they can get in this time.
Now, if I use veeamONE i need a long period of time (1-2 weeks) to fully analyze the VMs. For example, my threshold to choose one of the good perfoming IOPS datastores is >750 IOPS and the chart would show me it is more than one peak. VeeamONE tells me now for one VM "Datastore IO usage maximum 200 and multiple peaks at 200 IOPS - past week", so i would choose one of the other Datastores whith lower IO performance. But this information is simply wrong, cause in reality the peaks are about 1000 IOPS and I would choose the wrong Datastore.
Now luckily I know this behavior. Strangly if I analyze with a custom interval only the peak, it seems like I get the correct maximum value (>1000, 2 days ago). So the correct data seems to be stored but not to be shown in the past week view. I could now analyze each peak for a big amount of VMs and different performance types, but this would be really uncomfortable.
Veeam and VeeamONE is new for me and may be I'll get the informations which I need if I know more about the reporting features.
I'll go on with reading the documentation.
Thanks for your support.
michaelB
Novice

Next

Return to Monitoring