vCenter keeps disconencting

Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting

Re: vCenter keeps disconencting

Veeam Logoby gchapman » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:34 pm

Somewhat same issue here that has plauged us since we installed Veeam Monitor.

Veeam Monitor simply stops collecting data from the vCenter server daily leaving large gaps in historical analysis.

03/02/11 10:55:27 Error 0x0388 vcenter server"Unable to load/parse clients.xml: Unable to connect to the remote server"
03/02/11 10:55:27 Error 0x0388 vcenter server"XML Content:
(null)"
03/02/11 10:55:27 Error 0x0388 vcenter server"Collecting thread has failed to initialize (Unable to connect to the remote server) and will be stopped"

Troubleshooting this issue with support for almost 3 weeks now, and today recieved a message that it is an issue with ESXi and that they are working with VMWare to resolve the issue.

Suffice to say, I don't find that response all that encouraging, and right now the product simply does not perform as advertised. I would be curious to know if others with pure ESXi 4.1 environments are having similar issues.
gchapman
Novice

Liked: never
Full Name: Gabriel Chapman

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:41 pm

Gabriel, can you tell me your ticket number, so I could have a look?
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Liked: 1102 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Veeam Logoby gchapman » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:23 pm

PM sent with ticket number.

Thanks
gchapman
Novice

Full Name: Gabriel Chapman

Veeam Logoby Jozef » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:59 am

Vitaliy S. wrote:The first thing that I would look at is vCenter Server log files. I think it might be even worth taking someone from VMware Support for assistance with this.

I already have logs from vCenter but that'ss more than 1GB of logs....can you please navigate me to the most important log files? thanks.

btw, I don't think, that vmware support will helps here because vCenter without veeam software is working fine.
Jozef
Novice

Full Name: Jozef Beres

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 am

Jozef,

I believe there is an issue with the interaction between vCenter Server and 3rd party tools (not only Veeam). It might somehow be connected to scalability or configuration settings, so I do suggest reaching out VMware team.

As for the log files, I would have a look at vpxd*.log at first, then look through the most recent logs in the folder below:
Code: Select all
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware VirtualCenter\Logs

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jozef » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I think that finaly, I've find out the issue.
MS SQL 2005 express offers only 4GB of database files (db+log),...and the DB on vCenter was about 4 GB....when DB is full, every new transaction is going to cash.
when cash is full, databse will just stop = vCenter can't run without access to DB.
After reboot, cash is free again, so vCenter works again until the cash is full. (in my case, 12 - 18 hours)

Now my question. Will vCenter works on MS SQL 2008 express? what is the correct upgrade path? I don't want to reinstall vCenter, just export/import database.
Anybody has experience?

thanks
Jozef
Novice

Full Name: Jozef Beres

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Thank you for this update, Jozef.

Based on the Release Notes for vCenter Server 4.1 u1, MS SQL 2008 R2 is fully supported.

I guess all you need to keep the current infrastructure is to migrate the database to the new SQL instance and point vCenter Server to that database during installation process. Please make sure you've backed up your vCenter Server prior performing a migration.
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software

Veeam Logoby Jozef » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:29 am

final solution -> cleanup vCenter database

more information:
http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1025914
Jozef
Novice