Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting

Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby adiaz » Wed May 11, 2016 10:01 am

Hi everyone,

I'm a Technical Consultant and I usually install Veeam Backup and Replication to customers. In a lot of cases I have an issue (not an error) when I try to monitor with Veeam One. In the Infrastructure View, when I select a host to see, for example, CPU usage, and I change the period of monitoring, I can see intervals where there is no data, so the line of the chart is cut across that period and continues later.

So, there are some periods that no data is available, and customers ask why. What is the reason of this, and how could I fix it?

Thank you very much.
adiaz
Novice
 
Posts: 9
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am
Full Name: Antonio Díaz

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Wed May 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Antonio,

If you see gaps in historical monitoring period, then it means that there were issues with collecting data at that time and you should have received an alert on this.

How often do you see this situation? Is it specific to some platform (Hyper-V/vSphere)?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19558
Liked: 1102 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Wed May 11, 2016 3:07 pm

Hi Antonio and welcome to the forums!
Once you install Veeam ONE, give it some time to download historical data to show. It can take time depending on the infrastructure size.
Another possible reason is a lack of data or if the host was powered-off/disconnected.
Do you experience it just after the installation?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 4856
Liked: 394 times
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am
Location: Saint Petersburg
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby adiaz » Fri May 13, 2016 8:46 am

Hi again,

Thank you very much for your replies and for your warm welcome.

Vitaliy S. wrote:If you see gaps in historical monitoring period, then it means that there were issues with collecting data at that time and you should have received an alert on this.


Vitaliy S., as you say, there are some gaps without data available, and more over here in my office I usually receive some alarms about data collection failure (here the network fails very often), but I have no evidence that my customers also have those alarms, because I usually receive their Veeam One notifications and there is no trace of this kind of alarms.

Vitaliy S. wrote:How often do you see this situation? Is it specific to some platform (Hyper-V/vSphere)?


I always see this issue when I change the visualization period from past hour to past week, for example. And we just work with Hyper-V, so I don't know if vSphere platform has also this issue.

Shestakov wrote:Once you install Veeam ONE, give it some time to download historical data to show. It can take time depending on the infrastructure size.
Another possible reason is a lack of data or if the host was powered-off/disconnected.
Do you experience it just after the installation?


Sherstakov, unfortunately I was not the technical who installed Veeam One in those places. And those hosts work 24/7, so probably hosts have been powered-on along the whole period. However, thanks to your comments I tend to think that it's a data collection issue with the network, despite not having received alarms (or not having had evidence of them).

So the next step I'm goint to do is to verify that the data collection across the network is correct, and then I will tell you the veredict.

Thank you very much!
adiaz
Novice
 
Posts: 9
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am
Full Name: Antonio Díaz

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 13, 2016 12:00 pm

Indeed, in a case of connection failure you should get Performance data collection failure alarm.
adiaz wrote:I always see this issue when I change the visualization period from past hour to past week, for example. And we just work with Hyper-V, so I don't know if vSphere platform has also this issue.

Have you tried to generate a report for with the same interval and performance used? So we can find out if it`s Monitor or common problem.
Thanks.
Shestakov
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 4856
Liked: 394 times
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am
Location: Saint Petersburg
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby adiaz » Thu May 19, 2016 8:45 am

Hi again to everybody,

I've been delving a little and definitely I often get Performance Data Collection Failure alarms, but until now I have not been able to see them because the technician who installed Veeam disabled them. So probably it's a data collection issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

On the other hand I've tried to generate a report from Veeam One, but the option to generate them doesn't work (it launches a browser with a web page that shows error 404).

Thank you very much to everybody.
adiaz
Novice
 
Posts: 9
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am
Full Name: Antonio Díaz

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu May 19, 2016 9:59 am

Hi Antonio,
adiaz wrote:I've been delving a little and definitely I often get Performance Data Collection Failure alarms, but until now I have not been able to see them because the technician who installed Veeam disabled them. So probably it's a data collection issue, but I don't know how to fix it.

That`s not a good practice to disable alarm if you can`t resolve it. There is Knowledge Base for each alarm with the issue description and resolution steps. If you or customer can`t resolve it, it`s highly recommended to contact technical support team.

adiaz wrote:On the other hand I've tried to generate a report from Veeam One, but the option to generate them doesn't work (it launches a browser with a web page that shows error 404).

Do you generate it from Veeam ONE Monitor or Reporter? What is the name of the report?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 4856
Liked: 394 times
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am
Location: Saint Petersburg
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby adiaz » Thu May 19, 2016 12:03 pm

Shestakov wrote:That`s not a good practice to disable alarm if you can`t resolve it. There is Knowledge Base for each alarm with the issue description and resolution steps. If you or customer can`t resolve it, it`s highly recommended to contact technical support team.


All right, I'll look for information about this alarm and how to resolve it.

Shestakov wrote:Do you generate it from Veeam ONE Monitor or Reporter? What is the name of the report?


I have tried to generate reports from Veeam ONE, I've never tried with Reporter, is it worth?

Thanks a lot again.
adiaz
Novice
 
Posts: 9
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am
Full Name: Antonio Díaz

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Thu May 19, 2016 12:35 pm

Veeam ONE consists of 3 parts: Monitor, Reporter and Business View. That`s why it`s called ONE, by the way, historically these were separate products :)
Looks like you generate the reports from Monitor. Try to start Veeam ONE Reporter and generate reports there.
I`m still curious what kind of report gave you error 404, they should work wherever you generate them from.
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 4856
Liked: 394 times
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am
Location: Saint Petersburg
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby adiaz » Fri May 27, 2016 7:29 am 2 people like this post

Well, after fighting hard against Veeam One, I have found out that the reason why Veeam One Monitor gave me a 404 error was that it was not able to connect neither Reporter nor database. I have fixed it by checking credentials in Veeam ONE Settings. Now, reports work ok in Veeam ONE and also in ONE Report. So, now I have both tools working thank to all of you, thank you very much!

On the other hand, both reports, those generated by ONE Monitor and those generated by ONE Reporter, show gaps on lines where supposedly there is no info available. In this way we may think that this is not a reporter problem, but a collection data problem.

So, what may be the process to find out how to resolve this issue? Customers is pressing me more and more with this matter.

Thanks a lot, seriously!
adiaz
Novice
 
Posts: 9
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am
Full Name: Antonio Díaz

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Vitaliy S. » Fri May 27, 2016 9:53 am

If there are gaps in performance graphs, then indeed there was a data collection problem. To confirm that, please review internal alarms on the Veeam ONE Monitor Server, you should see something similar to this "Performance data collection failure" in the list of triggered alarms. The best thing to do in this case is to monitor this alarm and when it happens try to resolve connection issues. Hope this helps!
Vitaliy S.
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 19558
Liked: 1102 times
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 am
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 27, 2016 12:03 pm

By the way, do you have these performance gaps for ESX(i) or Hyper-V hypervisor?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 4856
Liked: 394 times
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am
Location: Saint Petersburg
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby adiaz » Fri May 27, 2016 12:17 pm

Shestakov wrote:By the way, do you have these performance gaps for ESX(i) or Hyper-V hypervisor?


Hyper-V, all of them.

Vitaliy S. wrote:The best thing to do in this case is to monitor this alarm and when it happens try to resolve connection issues


All right, I will monitor that alarm and then I will tell you.

Thank you very much again!
adiaz
Novice
 
Posts: 9
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am
Full Name: Antonio Díaz

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby Shestakov » Fri May 27, 2016 12:30 pm

That`s interesting. Could you describe the issue a bit?
Do you have Veeam ONE server installed on a VM running on the hypervisor which has the performance gaps?
Does it miss particular metrics or all the performance?
Thanks!
Shestakov
Veeam Software
 
Posts: 4856
Liked: 394 times
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 11:03 am
Location: Saint Petersburg
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Veeam One doesn't display data at intervals

Veeam Logoby adiaz » Tue May 31, 2016 11:39 am

Shestakov wrote:That`s interesting. Could you describe the issue a bit?


Of course, please look at the following screenshot of Veeam One with gaps:

Image

Moreover and as all of you said, at the top of the screen there is a "Configuration issue" that tells there is a Backup performance data collection failure.

Shestakov wrote:Do you have Veeam ONE server installed on a VM running on the hypervisor which has the performance gaps?


In this case, Veeam Backup and Veeam ONE are installed in a physical machine that runs some Hyper-V virtual machines (it's not a dedicated virtual machine to run Veeam, as we usually do), but there are two more servers that also run Hyper-V machines and also have the performance data collection issue.

Shestakov wrote:Does it miss particular metrics or all the performance?


Gaps appear in all of metrics that Veeam ONE Monitor can show on every machine, i.g. CPU, Memory, Network, Disk, but all of them in the same intervals.

Thanks a lot ;)
adiaz
Novice
 
Posts: 9
Liked: 2 times
Joined: Wed May 11, 2016 9:32 am
Full Name: Antonio Díaz

Next

Return to Monitoring



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests