Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
tim.michel
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Tim

Veeam one Scripting option

Post by tim.michel »

I am currently running Veeamone version 9.5.4.4587, and I have a couple of vms on our network that our dev team is having issues with, they are troubleshooting an issue that affects around 20 users, their home grown app randomly causes memory leaks, and when memory maxes out it starts building a large page file...and from there the drive fills up. The dev team is very aware of their issue and I have created an alert to notify us when drive space is below 40%. At that time we need to reboot the vm... for now until they develop out of this mess (which knowing dev ops will take 6 months).

I was wondering if there was a way through the actions tab of the alarm, to setup a rule where if the drive hits a threshold (and not during working hours) to trigger a reboot of that specific vm? I never really looked into the actions option and know that the VM would be fine to reboot at anytime...but would rather track it during normal working hours.

the VM is a windows server 2012 r2 (not sure if that matters, and yes its an older OS), just wondering if anyone has any input and curious about the options I have in this actions tab

Thank you,

Tim
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam one Scripting option

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Yes you can do that with the "actions" and "run script".

I would copy the existing alarm and adjust to the 40% value. Assign it only to that specific VM. Then you need to create a script that that does the reboot of the VM. I see several ways to initiate the reboot

1) via the hypervisor
2) via in-guest processing

I would take the approach that is easier for your to implement.

Everything I mention above are tabs in the alarm settings.

Best regards,
Hannes
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam one Scripting option

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hannes is spot on! You can review one of the scripts supplied in this KB article. Instead of failing over the VM, you can initiate an automatic reboot. Thanks!