Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
dali@iae.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Da Li

VM vCPU time per dispatch default too low?

Post by dali@iae.nl »

The VM vCPU time per dispatch is based on the hypervisor Counter CPU Wait Time (Nanosecond).
The Warning is default set in Microseconds and is default set to 60 Microseconds.
In my opinion this is too low and on other fora it is discussed that 20 Milliseconds should be an acceptable number.

So I often get Warnings or Errors: "CPU Wait Time" (70.6 Microseconds) is above a defined threshold (60.0 Microseconds)"
(This is on a Hyper-V Cluster but also on VMware 20 Milliseconds was always a good indicator).

Question: Does others also set this counter on 20 Milliseconds instead of the default 60 Microseconds?
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 169 times

Re: VM vCPU time per dispatch default too low?

Post by RomanK »

Hello Da Li,

In fact, there are customers who use only VMware, only Hyper-V, or only backup infrastructure monitoring including combinations. The defaults for the alarm rules were set to fit most environments but they are not obligatory. If you believe that value is too low or too high or just doesn't fit your needs you may safely modify or disable the alarm.

In general, if all is working fine, with no visible drawbacks or performance degradation I would recommend tuning the threshold and that is it.

Thanks.
dali@iae.nl
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Da Li

Re: VM vCPU time per dispatch default too low?

Post by dali@iae.nl »

I just want to know if and what value other Hyper-V administrators use for this setting.