Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
HYF_JE
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

AHV Proxy Veeam Updater - Confusing Language

Post by HYF_JE »

Original support case #06051888

I'm quite upset with support at the moment, I didn't think the below question would cause so much confusion, but I guess there's a sense of irony there, given how the reason I opened the case was due to being confused. Below is my original question in its entirety:
In the new 4.0 version, when you browse to the veeam updater there is a warning banner that says the below:

"This backup appliance is managed by a Veeam Backup & Replication server. All appliance updates must be performed using the backup console UI to guarantee compatibility and stable work of the integration."

But inside the VBR console UI there's no way to perform updates. Why is this language present and what is it communicating to me as an administrator? It doesn't help that the user guide doesn't make reference to this warning.
Hoping a product lead can address/respond to my query here.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: AHV Proxy Veeam Updater - Confusing Language

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello HYF

I‘m not the product lead, but I can answer the question.
It is indeed a little bit confusing.

There are two different updates available for the proxy:
- updates for the veeam proxy component
- package updates for the linux appliance (ubuntu)

Major Proxy upgrades must be done via the Veeam Backup & Replication console. You will get a notification in the backup Console when there is a new major version available after you have upgraded Veeam Backup & Replication.

Package updates, such as .Net Core updates or Ubuntu security updates for the linux appliance can only be done in the proxy console web UI. Therefore it is safe to install them via the update service in the Web UI.

I will forward your question to the product lead, so we can make sure to make the banner less confusing.

If you don‘t see any technical issue, I suggest to close the support case.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HYF_JE
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Re: AHV Proxy Veeam Updater - Confusing Language

Post by HYF_JE »

Thanks, Fabian. That answers my question. I honestly thought that was all it was referring to, but definitely appreciate you forwarding the question along to hopefully get the language clarified.