Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
Dready
Lurker
Liked: never

[Feature Request] Powershell & API integration

Post by Dready »

Hello,

One of our customer migrated from VMWare to AHV and we had to adapt the existing powershell reporting script to gather the information for Nutanix backups.
I've managed to retrieve informations but it was very difficult due to the AHV Backups not being completely integrated with Powershell cmdlet as we are used to for VMWare
Our customer wants unified reporting which automation team is setting up through smart view and wanted to use API to query the backups and provide statistics
From the few test that I made it seems that the integration with API is about the same than powershell

I've opened case # 05183862 to confirm
"Regarding Nutanix Module, you are right it's not completely integrated yet. I see that REST API documentation for Veeam Backup & Replication doesn't contain detailed information on platform support.
Nevertheless in Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager REST API Reference the platform support is specified for most of the queries (where applicable). For instance, query that returns a collection of jobs created on backup servers might return values for VMware, Hyperv, vCloud types of jobs.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

Whereas query for Backup does contain information about Nutanux Platform:
Type of a platform of a backup resource. Possible values:

CustomPlatform — for Nutanix and other custom platforms."

My request is to be able to gather the same informations about Nutanix AHV backups/sessions/jobs through Powershell cmdlets and API requests
Thank you
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: [Feature Request] Powershell & API integration

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your feedback. I understand that our official VBR APIs are not famous for Nutanix integration. But it is caused solely by the fact that Nutanix is still less popular than VMware and Hyper-V, hence lower demand on API support and lower priorities for feature requests.

I can say that in Enterprise Manager REST API it is totally feasible to cover Nutanix AHV in one of the next releases given that it is highly demanded. Models for one resource type are unified there, so, no need to add any private properties unless it is something very specific for Nutanix.

For VBR REST API and Powershell it is a completely different story. Models and classes there (especially new entities) are very granular. It means that we would require a whole new set of working methods in either of the services to support Nutanix AHV.

Anyway, I noted your feature request, but cannot promise any timeline for it.

Best regards,
Oleg
FLS_Nick
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nick Mahlitz

Post by FLS_Nick »

+1 from me for this feature request as our unified reporting suffers from the inability to get the same level of info from Nutanix AHV backups via Veeam.
kpolsana
Service Provider
Full Name: Koushik Polsana

Post by kpolsana »

+1 from me for this feature request as our unified reporting suffers from the inability to get the same level of info from Nutanix AHV backups via Veeam.
tedsteenvoorden
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ted

Post by tedsteenvoorden »

+1 for me to have some form of programmable interface to Veeam Backup for AHV. Preferably powershell.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2276 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hello

Our upcoming release of Veeam Backup for Nutanix AHV (v4) will include a public REST API.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
kpolsana
Service Provider
Full Name: Koushik Polsana

Post by kpolsana »

That is awesome thanks