Host-based backup of Nutanix AHV VMs.
ithomas
Lurker
Liked: never

Scoped Snapshots not removed post backup-- case 03215438

Post by ithomas »

Hi, all-

I had an open case with Veeam that they closed (archived) with no solution and I'm curious if others have found an answer; I discontinued use of AHV integration because I couldn't live with this.

Using the Nutanix Proxy on AHV clusters, when backup jobs would run, it would create "scoped" snapshots on my cluster with an expiration date in the year 2086 for each VM and then fail to remove the snapshots it created- I burned through over 1 TB of disk space in a couple weeks with these snapshots and then had to remove almost 90 of them one at a time with the assistance of a script that Nutanix support gave me; that took almost 3 hours to remove all of them by UUID once the script was in place.

I have trouble believing that people can use the AHV portion of the Veeam product unless there is a solution or workaround; anyone else having this issue?
ericschott
Product Manager
Liked: 92 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Re: Scoped Snapshots not removed post backup-- case 03215438

Post by ericschott »

We are investigating with support this case.
Coldfirex
Enthusiast
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Alan Shearer

Post by Coldfirex »

We have not seen this behavior in our environment.
YVC_IT
Novice
Full Name: Andrew

Post by YVC_IT »

ithomas wrote: Oct 22, 2018 6:24 pm Hi, all-

I had an open case with Veeam that they closed (archived) with no solution and I'm curious if others have found an answer; I discontinued use of AHV integration because I couldn't live with this.

Using the Nutanix Proxy on AHV clusters, when backup jobs would run, it would create "scoped" snapshots on my cluster with an expiration date in the year 2086 for each VM and then fail to remove the snapshots it created- I burned through over 1 TB of disk space in a couple weeks with these snapshots and then had to remove almost 90 of them one at a time with the assistance of a script that Nutanix support gave me; that took almost 3 hours to remove all of them by UUID once the script was in place.

I have trouble believing that people can use the AHV portion of the Veeam product unless there is a solution or workaround; anyone else having this issue?
We've been having plenty of trouble with the AHV proxy since implementing it about 6 weeks ago and I want to also get rid of it.
What did you end up going with?
dmrichards26
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: DJ Richards

Post by dmrichards26 »

We've been using Veeam's AHV product since the Beta, and while it does have it's quirks, we've been pretty happy with it overall, as we've used competitor's products, and had very experiences.

@iThomas-

I believe the problem you are running into is based around the fact that Veeam's cleanup is built into it's job functions, and cannot be run separately. This means if a job fails mid-way through, it will not reach the clean-up step at the end of the job, and the snapshot gets left on the cluster. Since you cannot trigger Veeam's cleanup after a failed job, you must remove the snapshots from this job manually.

If you want to see what VM's have these stale snapshots, you can go to the "Protected VM's" tab on your VAN Proxy, and you will see the number of snapshots for each VM. Every VM will always have one snapshot, and two if a job is currently running. If you have more than that, Veeam support is happy to remove them for you.

If you are having bad luck with Veeam's support for VAN, just let me know, and I will be happy to have one of their more experienced VAN engineers reach out to you, as we speak with them daily.
YVC_IT
Novice

Post by YVC_IT »

A "quirky" product to me should not be considered acceptable especially considering how much we pay for it.
I know other products cost more but old school Veeam B&R was brilliant and we rarely had an issue.
As I've told the support tech assigned to my open case, prior to running this horrible abomination we used B&R with server agents and never had an issue with failed jobs or anything else.
I've spent more time on this product in the last 6-7 weeks than I did on B&R in the previous 2.5 years.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Andrew, can you provide us with your support ticket number, so that we can investigate the issue internally? Thanks!
dmrichards26
Influencer
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: DJ Richards

Post by dmrichards26 »

Hi Vlad - I believe his case number is 03215438
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We've got this one already - I was interested more in Andrew's one.

Anyway, just to update you on status of this issue - for now if you run into stuck snapshots, you can ask support team to assist you with removing stalled entities and fixing the root cause.

We're already working on a fix for this problem. The fix should be included in one of the next product releases.

Thanks!
YVC_IT
Novice

Post by YVC_IT »

my case number is - 03232637
veremin
Product Manager