Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
macbobs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Crichton

10TB Azure Blob

Post by macbobs »

Hello and best wishes to all who read,

For centuries I have had the luxury of oodles of on prem storage across two different private office data centre sites. Alas those days are numbered - so I am now looking for at using Veeam with Azure for safe Secondary storage offsite. i.e. backup using my tin and run a separate job (or COPY?) to get the VM backups someplace off LAN.

The first pain I have is the Microsoft storage calculator. I am UK based so when I try to ask it for a price for say 20TB of "storage" I have plenty of options - I read in the forums to go for Hot Blob storage (rather than Cold and that Archive is not supported ?) - so armed with that its still quite pricey for 20TB (or am i doing it wrong? ((very likely)). Looking therefore if someone can offer a "rough" price on what 20TB of Azure storage used for dumping out backups typically costs please ?

Secondly - and this perhaps sits in a different group but in terms of making sure that write access to that repository is "safe" from say sort of terrorizing encrypting virus that runs amoc on the LAN by simply having it off LAN and protected by password encryption for the jobs and the storage account locked away on the VEEAM server is that enough for a humble person to start with or should I be thinking about more complicated VLANs and restricting traffic types to that repository ?

I
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: 10TB Azure Blob

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

First I recommend the FAQ, because you only set a checkbox (no extra jobs): post338749.html#p338749

I also recommend to look at alternatives with less confusing price structures.

You did not say anything about your backup policy. But yes, Hot is probably most suitable. Archive tier will be support in V11. But that only makes sense for GFS backups that you keep longer than 180 days

Sure, a secure configuration of the backup infrastructure makes sense in any case. The best practice guide has some ideas https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/VBP/Security/

Best regards,
Hannes
macbobs
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Robert Crichton

Post by macbobs »

Thank you for those !
Charged in guns blazing and up and running...once I realised you cant backup directly but you can make your local storage "expand" to use that and with options like copy everything to blob as soon as local has finished it all made sense. In terms of cost even with %TB swallowed in day 1 I still cant say how much cost it will be in real pence ( will wait till my monthly bill!!)

I decided to check my password I used in VEEAM - edited to what I thought it was - amd hey presto that snarled up the VMs that gone to blob as they said it was a different password ...

Have also tried the "headless" recovery idea - say we lost our DC site with our VBR server and I needed to restore from the ashes - fire up a PC stick a copy of VBR on , attach the blob and rescan - import...yet using the community edition it can found the blob storage but after scanning and being prompted for my the encryption password it finds no backups....hmmmm hmmm I saw some posts suggesting that is just because I havent licensed my Community Edition ? Anyone know for sure before I worry ...

many thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Community Edition has no limitations as it comes to importing backups from object storage and performing the restore, so you should be able to do what you're trying to do.