Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
PXAbstraction
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gerry Corcoran

Adding existing Azure blob storage to DR VM in cloud

Post by PXAbstraction »

Hi everyone. Apologies if this is a redundant topic, but I've read several threads on this that don't seem to answer my issue.

We have a client with an on-prem B&R server that does backups to on-prem storage. They have copy jobs that will be keeping 7 days worth of backups in Azure for DR purposes. They upgraded to v12 and have decided to store the backups directly in Azure blob storage.

I have setup a VM in Azure with Veeam B&R to use for doing DR restores and am attempting to test that. In order to import the backups, I need to add the Azure blob storage. Every guide I can find confirm this is what should be done. However, when I try, I receive the error:

Selected object storage repository is already managed by another backup server. If you continue, all jobs currently using this repository will fail.

This is indicating to me that if I add the repository so that I can do DR restores, all backup copy jobs from the on-prem server will fail. This doesn't make any sense to me. If I can't join the repository from the Azure B&R VM, how can I import backups to do DR restores?

Am I missing something here? I feel I must be.

Thanks!
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Re: Adding existing Azure blob storage to DR VM in cloud

Post by tyler.jurgens » 1 person likes this post

That's right. When you attach a new VBR to an existing Object Storage bucket, the new VBR will take ownership of that bucket.

You can restore from that bucket, do your tests, then on the original VBR walk through the properties on the bucket and it will take ownership back so your backups will continue to work.

I wrote up an article doing this exact thing: https://explosive.cloud/there-and-back- ... eeam-tale/ - I based mine off Minio buckets and importing into VMware Cloud Director, but the general gist is the same as what you're trying to accomplish.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
PXAbstraction
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Gerry Corcoran

Re: Adding existing Azure blob storage to DR VM in cloud

Post by PXAbstraction »

Ugh, that's a pain, but at least I know now. Shouldn't be too big an issue in the end. Thank you for clarifying!