Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
vaxyz
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

AWS Archive - Corrupted VBK Files

Post by vaxyz »

Hi,

I have a Backup Copy job and its backing up to a SOBR repository - Direct-to-Object Storage.

Performance Tier: AWS S3 Standard
Archive Tier: AWS Glacier Deep Archive

The status of my VBK files shows corrupted. Not all of them, but maybe half of them. In the performance tier the VBK files are ok.

What can cause the corruption in the Archive tier?

Here is one example.

Case # 06391170
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: AWS Archive - Corrupted VBK Files

Post by Gostev »

Someone or something deleting or moving some objects, for example. Did you find the corruption pattern through our Support? E.g. if there are just a few object missing or many. This may give you some hints as to what may have happened.
vaxyz
Enthusiast

Post by vaxyz »

Someone or something deleting or moving some objects, for example. Did you find the corruption pattern through our Support? E.g. if there are just a few object missing or many. This may give you some hints as to what may have happened.
Where can I check to see if there are any objects missing?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Support should be able to identify this from the debug logs. But even before, they will need to determine an actual reason for this status. If it's missing objects or something else.
vaxyz
Enthusiast

Post by vaxyz »

Problem still persists, but the Veeam support engineer did find the cause of the corrupt AWS Archive backups. It was Veeam's Health Check is causing the Archive backups to be corrupted or maybe just labeling the Archive backups as corrupted. He's still working on it.

I'm hoping the Health Check is only labeling Archive Backups as corrupted and not actually corrupting the Archive backups.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Health check is a read-only process in any case. And in case of object storage specifically, it only checks if the required objects exist in a bucket. But does not read them to verify content due to cost implications of this operation + because most object storage checksums objects natively anyhow, and will serve another "good" copy transparently when an object is requested if the content of the retrieved first copy of the object does not match its checksum.
vaxyz
Enthusiast

Post by vaxyz »

If the Health Check is a Read-Only process, then this gives me hope that the Archive Backups are only mislabeled and can be corrected by running a SQL query to revert the status back to "Ok".

However, this needs to be fix first.

See case number below.

Case # 06391170
vaxyz
Enthusiast

Post by vaxyz » 1 person likes this post

The issue has been resolved. It turns out there's a bug in Veeam B&R 12.0.
The support engineer suggested to upgrade to 12.1 and that resolved the issue.
He had to run a SQL script to revert my AWS Archive backups status from Corrupted to OK because the Veeam 12.0 bug mislabeled them.