Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
hauckm
Novice
Liked: never

Azure SOBR

Post by hauckm »

Hello all -
We are running VBR 9.5 U4

For a while now our process for dealing with VMs we no longer need but want to archive has followed this process;
- Add VM to a backup job configured to keep one restore point
- Run a single backup of that VM to a standard repository and then delete that VM from the environment
- When we have another VM that needs to be archived we remove any previous VMs from the backup job, add the new VM and run a single backup
- Rinse and repeat

We now have 20-30 VM backups on the repository and we want to use a SOBR to move that data to Azure object storage.
We configured the SOBR with the "archive" repository as the performance tier and our Azure blob storage as the capacity tier and it is set to move data older than 30 days.

We saw the process run looking for data to migrate to Azure but no data was migrated.

At that point we opened a ticket with Veeam support which is still ongoing.
They have mentioned backup chain legitimacy, which we believe we understand.

The two outstanding questions that support hasn't answered yet;
- Can we use a SOBR to move our current backed up data to Azure object storage or is there some other method?
- What is the best method for dealing with archive VMs that would allow us to use our Veeam environment and Azure blob storage if what we are trying to do can't work?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Azure SOBR

Post by Gostev »

I think the best way will be to wait for v11 and just use VeeamZIP, as v11 will support offloading VeeamZIP and Exported backups (this was added specifically to address your use case). Thanks!
hauckm
Novice
Liked: never

Re: Azure SOBR

Post by hauckm »

Not what I was hoping to hear, but I appreciate the information Gostev.

Thank you