Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Mark.Twain007
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Mitchell Ray Holt

Backing up servers to NAS and Wasabi Cloud, files stored twice on NAS

Post by Mark.Twain007 »

So we have been using Veeam for a while, Backing it up just to an on site NAS. We wanted to add some cloud backups for redundancy, and since Price was a big issue for us we purchased some cloud storage from Wasabi and have been using that.

The connection to Wasabi is fine, but following their instructions, I've setup Wasabi as a scale out repository, and when a backup job runs and finishes, it does a backup copy Job to that repository so the files get pushed to the cloud. That all is and works great, but the Backup Copy job keeps the backup copy files on my NAS, taking up just as much space as the normal backup job and so I am out of space on my NAS, when previously space wasn't an issue.

Is there a way to setup the jobs so that it doesn't take up twice the space on my NAS?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backing up servers to NAS and Wasabi Cloud, files stored twice on NAS

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

You have two options.
You could target the backup job directly to the SOBR. Then you won‘t need an additional backup copy job.

Second option, if you want to stay with the backup copy job. Configure the move policy for the capacity tier in the SOBR. You can configure to move the backups as soon a new backup chain was created. The restore points on the NAS will be deleted after the move. With this option, you will have always a second copy of the data, but not all restore points for the entire duration of the retention. Only the active Chain.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software