Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Johnson
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Johnson Ng

Can SOBR be mapped to the same Exagrid on 2 different Veeam servers?

Post by Johnson »

Hello Community,

My environment is as follows:
- 1 x VBR server A in Site A
- 1 x VBR server B in Site B
- 1 x Exagrid in Site A
- Site A and Site B are connected via WAN. (eg: Site A can ping to Site B)
- 1 x AWS S3 Capacity Tier object storage
- 1 x AWS S3 Archive Tier object storage

Currently, VBR server A is already configured with SOBR with Exagrid as the extent and AWS as the capacity tier and archive tier.
Now, I want to configure a new SOBR in the VBR server B with the same Exagrid as the extent and the same AWS object storage as the capacity tier and archive tier.

Is this workable? I mean will there be any conflict as I understand SOBR will apply plugin to the repository.
If I use the same Exagrid to create SOBR for VBR server B, the plugin will be over written i think, causing VBR server A to fail?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Can SOBR be mapped to the same Exagrid on 2 different Veeam servers?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
some details are not 100% clear to me, but it sounds like a "no" to me.

It's not recommended (the box might get overloaded), but technically it would work to share one Exagrid between two VBR servers. Just to be clear: two different paths on one box. Not the same path / folder!

One object storage repository must not be shared between two VBR servers (same like sharing the same path on any kind of repository creates issues).
The same object storage repository (mapped to the same cloud folder) must not be used across multiple Veeam Backup & Replication servers for the same purposes as it leads to unpredictable system behavior and data loss.
The question from my side is: what is the idea of sharing the same object storage?

Not sure which plugin is meant. For Exagrid, we deploy the Veeam datamover at runtime. So each backup run deploys it again.

Best regards,
Hannes
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Can SOBR be mapped to the same Exagrid on 2 different Veeam servers?

Post by rennerstefan »

Hello,

if I get you right you just want to use the same Exagrid, not the same Share!?
As far as I know you can create two different shares with different credentials for the second server on side B.
See from page 40: https://www.exagrid.com/wp-content/uplo ... ecture.pdf

you will also be able to use the "same" AWS buckets as long as you create and select a different folder.

As Hannes mentioned I also don't understand the idea of using the same object storage so if you mean more than just using the same bucket please clarify.

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA