Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jdavidson_waters
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: James Davidson

Enable point-in-time restore for containers (AZURE)

Post by jdavidson_waters »

Our Veeam servers are hardened as per Veeam best practice. However in the unlikely event that a hacker or disgruntled employee (etc) gained admin level access to our Veeam console they could (in theory) delete local backups and also our long term offsite Azure stored backups.

Until Azure is certified with Veeam for the AWS S3 Immutability equivalent, I am looking at additional protection options for our long term backups stored in Azure to help with the above situation.

I've been looking at "point in time restores for containers" and wondered if anyone else had investigated this? As a test I created a new SOBR and added an Azure Blob capacity tier which had the Point in Time restores enabled on its container. I ran backups to this SOBR for several days. In the Azure portal i was then able to restore the container back to a previous point in time, i then attached the Blob to a new Veeam install and was able to import the backup files and restore from them.

Anyone else considered this? Or any other suggestions?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-gb/azure/ ... e-overview
@jam_davidson
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2902 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Enable point-in-time restore for containers (AZURE)

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
if you can roll back the whole storage container / bucket, then Veeam just needs to re-import / re-sync. That works, yes.

Best regards,
Hannes
jdavidson_waters
Service Provider
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: James Davidson

Re: Enable point-in-time restore for containers (AZURE)

Post by jdavidson_waters »

Hi Hannes,
Yes exactly this - it rolled the entire container back. I then imported into a different Veeam install and tested several recovery points.

It all worked fine in my small test. I'll widen the test and run it for a bit longer.
@jam_davidson