Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

Estimating Azure Blob write operations

Post by dtwiley »

Is there any way of estimating write operations if we know how much data transfer we estimate?

For Cool storage with regular daily copy jobs from on-premise, we're seeing a higher cost against write operations than storage itself. Obviously for high its the other way around.

What I'd like to do is work out which will be the best policy based on data transfer but I don't know how data transfer equates to write operations. I'd have thought we could calculate this but its not clear how.

What we're up against is cloud backup providers which just provide a per GB cost, so when we quote Veeam with Azure Blob, its very difficult to estimate costs other than using stored data which isn't always the biggest cost.

I guess i'm asking what block size Veeam use for Azure Repos, would that give me what i want or is it not that simple?
dtwiley
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Dave Twilley

Re: Estimating Azure Blob write operations

Post by dtwiley »

Or does it inherit the block size from the job settings storage optimisation for the original backup job its copying?
tyler.jurgens
Veeam Legend
Liked: 128 times
Full Name: Tyler Jurgens

Post by tyler.jurgens »

The block size for the job is inherited from the original backup job, unfortunately.

I have a feature request posted here: post504078.html#p504078 for that setting to be configurable on backup copy jobs and capacity/archive tier.
Tyler Jurgens
Veeam Legend x2 | vExpert ** | VMCE | VCP 2020 | Tanzu Vanguard | VUG Canada Leader | VMUG Calgary Leader
Blog: https://explosive.cloud
Twitter: @Tyler_Jurgens BlueSky: @tylerjurgens.bsky.social
mr_jjjj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jure Forstnerič

Post by mr_jjjj »

I'm also wondering this - what is the recommended (or default) block size when using blob storage as a backup repository (so not a backup copy but a straight backup job)?
ericschott_OF
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Post by ericschott_OF »

For any estimate need to say a bit more about what your doing. ie primary backups, are you using immutability? What is your schedule for retention, GFS ?

Are you using active fulls?
what type of blob storage?
does the data compress?

Azure Cool does charge more for put requests, and it charges a minimum storage duration, so for primary backups (or initial destination for a copy job), it may not be the best choice....the devil is in the details I ask about above...
mr_jjjj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Jure Forstnerič

Post by mr_jjjj »

The most typical scenario is forever incremental (which is the default when using blob storage) stored to Azure Cool Tier, without immutability but with data compression (again, default settings for backup to blob storage). I'm not sure what the retention schedule has to do with number of write operations, but say

I've had cases where the write operations cost as much if not more than the actual storage and I'm guessing it's from having an incorrect block size setup.
ericschott_OF
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Eric Schott

Post by ericschott_OF »

Without immutability, put operations are primarily adding data to the blob storage. The scheduling matters as it affects the amount of data, (as does the overall data size, compression ration, etc).

Again as an initial landing area for a primary job, performance tier sobr or copy job, I'm not sure cool is the best choice given the likely turn over in retention and minimum durations of cool tier. The details matter to know.
m.novelli
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 90 times
Full Name: Marco Novelli

Post by m.novelli »

I have many customers exporting backups to Azure, after years of knowledge I've moved all of them to Hot Storage, is cheaper than Cool Storage and you don't have to worry about writes (stupid cloud providers...)

Marco