Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
sandroalves
Expert
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Sandro da Silva Alves

Force sending backup to Azure

Post by sandroalves »

Hi,

Case 1

- I temporarily disabled Scale-out for Azure, but I believe I did the procedure incorrectly.

I unset the Scale-out option for Azure because I don't want backups to be sent to Azure automatically within four hours or after the daily backup.

Did I just configure it for maintenance mode?

Case 2

I want only one bakcup job not to be sent to Azure. Will I need another repository without scale-out to change the JOB configuration?

Case 3

Is it possible not to wait four hours for backups to be sent to Azure and to force the upload immediately?

Thanks.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Force sending backup to Azure

Post by oleg.feoktistov » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sandro,

1. If you unticked the checkbox "Extend scale-out backup repository capacity with object storage" on Capacity Tier step of Scale-Out Backup Repository wizard, you removed Azure storage from your SOBR. If you went to Backup Infrastructure > Scale-out repositories > {RepositoryName}, right clicked on Azure extent and chose "Maintenance mode", then you put your capacity tier storage to maintenance mode.

2. Yes, it would require targeting the job to another repository, since offload policy is set on Scale-out repository level and is applied for all jobs targeted to this repository. But another repository can be also Scale-out with just performance tier. Other tiers are optional.

3. Yes, do Ctrl + Right Click on your Scale-out repository and select "Run tiering job now" or execute this script in Powershell:

Code: Select all

$sobr = Get-VBRBackupRepository -Name 'RepositoryName' -Scaleout
Start-VBRCapacityTierSync -Repository $sobr
Best regards,
Oleg
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

1. Alternatively, you can set time period when it's allowed or prohibited to move or copy data to object storage, using Backup Window settings. Thanks!
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

oleg.feoktistov wrote: Mar 06, 2021 9:30 am Hi Sandro,

1. If you unticked the checkbox "Extend scale-out backup repository capacity with object storage" on Capacity Tier step of Scale-Out Backup Repository wizard, you removed Azure storage from your SOBR. If you went to Backup Infrastructure > Scale-out repositories > {RepositoryName}, right clicked on Azure extent and chose "Maintenance mode", then you put your capacity tier storage to maintenance mode.

2. Yes, it would require targeting the job to another repository, since offload policy is set on Scale-out repository level and is applied for all jobs targeted to this repository. But another repository can be also Scale-out with just performance tier. Other tiers are optional.

3. Yes, do Ctrl + Right Click on your Scale-out repository and select "Run tiering job now" or execute this script in Powershell:

Code: Select all

$sobr = Get-VBRBackupRepository -Name 'RepositoryName' -Scaleout
Start-VBRCapacityTierSync -Repository $sobr
Best regards,
Oleg
Yes, I saw that.

I noticed that I no longer see my (Object storage) from my (Backups at Home).

When I enabled it again he asked if I wanted to import the backups again I said to do only the last ones and then he came back.

So when will I use the maintenance mode to prevent it from being sent the next time.

Thanks.
sandroalves
Expert

Post by sandroalves »

veremin wrote: Mar 06, 2021 10:26 am 1. Alternatively, you can set time period when it's allowed or prohibited to move or copy data to object storage, using Backup Window settings. Thanks!
Hi,

good is also an alternative.

Thanks.