Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Glacier immutability change

Post by theviking84 »

Is it possible to first tier off backups to the Glacier archive tier without immutability, and then, later on decide to enable this option in Veeam? Will it handle switching them all to immutable for their lifetime, or start with only new gfs points that are moved? Or can't be changed?
theviking84
Expert

Re: Glacier immutability change

Post by theviking84 »

Let me clarify a bit. We use linux immutable performance tier short term, and then we also use object lock api for short term in regular s3. Now, we are adding the archive tier and selected deep archive glacier in the veeam menus. So, specifically for the GFS points that go into glacier from tiering jobs, that's what I'm wondering about. Starting those without "immutable for their entire lifetime" in the veeam options, and then switching to turn this ON later on. Hoping at worst this will affect new offloads and just maybe not existing?
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

I found on this page that it says you have to enable the object lock at the time you make the bucket. But, when you attempt to add a glacier archive tier bucket into Veeam, with object lock enabled at creation, and you don't select the option to make gfs immutable their entire lifetime, then veeam errors during creation of the archive repo and will not allow you to make it.

So it seems you would have to leave off the immutability option and also not turn on the immutability when you make the repo. But then you can't ever enable it.... So i'm kind of stuck.

Since the older data is also moved, not copied... That means I would have to try to move all of it back to the capacity tier, wait 12-48 hours (deep archive was selected) and then when its all been moved back to capacity tier, make a new bucket, new glacier repo in veeam, and start over with immutability turned on? Is that my only choice here if I need to re arrange things so that I'm using the lifetime immutability for gfs in archive tier?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is it possible to first tier off backups to the Glacier archive tier without immutability, and then, later on decide to enable this option in Veeam?
Nope, it is not possible.
But, when you attempt to add a glacier archive tier bucket into Veeam, with object lock enabled at creation, and you don't select the option to make gfs immutable their entire lifetime, then veeam errors during creation of the archive repo and will not allow you to make it.
But this is expected, right? You cannot add a bucket with object lock enabled as non-immutable archive tier?

Thanks!
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

Well, turning on object lock just means the feature is then available, right? If you don't actually set the flag on the objects that you upload, in theory you could still have it enabled but not actually "use" it to me? But maybe that isn't the case.

Anyway, I am now in the scenario where I have already taken 2 SOBR and moved their gfs to glacier deep archive in the archive tier.

I need to undo do this, and re set up new bucket and use the immutability for lifetime from the start.

What is my best option? The bad part is that since it was moved and not copied, I can't just make a new repo and re do it. I have to try to move all data back first to capacity tier and wait 48 hours right?? Or is there any other choices here?

Also need to know how to prevent future moves of more points to Archive during this time.

I found the setting in the backups--->archive area to click a backup and "retrieve to capacity tier" but this talks about only publishing it for 1 day or whatever days. I need to permanently move it back to capacity tier so it isn't part of archive and then re do the archive tier setup....

My only other thought would be that I just replace the archive tier bucket repo with a new one, and enable immutability, and then let veeam just continue as normal and offload future backups to the correct archive tier. It warns me in the gui if I go to do this though, that those backups won't be restorable.. Would it be possible to still "import backup" on a glacier deep archive bucket stand alone? Or does changing the sobr archive tier bucket repo really render these backups unusable no matter what I then do?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The best way is to add new repository as archive tier, detach current archive repository and then import backups from it.
theviking84
Expert

Post by theviking84 »

Thanks, I will give this a try.