Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Kim29
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Jareewan

How often create VM proxy appliance if I design base sobr capacity tier to archive tier

Post by Kim29 »

Please suggest :D , I'm design SOBR and I need to preparing cost about azure VM for proxy appliance between data move capacity to archive tier if I set "Archive GFS full backups to object storage = 30 Days" and the policy is 14D 5W 12M with GFS
After backup running until conditions "Archive GFS backup older then 30 Days" the VM proxy appliance is create and delete after move job success.
the question VM proxy appliance is create again after running find GFS(weekly) the 37 Days or 60 Days (every 30 Days) that I confuse wording "older then"

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How often create VM proxy appliance if I design base sobr capacity tier to archive tier

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you did not mention the amount of data, the costs are hard to estimate. The proxy appliance only exists on-demand once per month for some time (I guess hours, because it sounds like your environment is relatively small). I would just ignore these costs, because the cost estimation for the capacity tier are also just and estimation (maybe just add 10USD per month to simplify).

Best regards,
Hannes
Kim29
Enthusiast

Re: How often create VM proxy appliance if I design base sobr capacity tier to archive tier

Post by Kim29 »

Thanks, second question depend above my question about data moving between capacity to archive tier "Archive GFS backup older then 30 Days"
The data moving to archive tier every 30 Days right that I mean 30,60,90?
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK »

not sure I understand the question... as you have monthly GFS, the move to archive tier (temporary creation of the proxy) is also monthly
Kim29
Enthusiast

Post by Kim29 »

I set weekly and monthly with GFS.
HannesK
Product Manager

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

yes, but only GFS restore points that have a retention of more than 180 days will be moved to Azure archive tier per default (the 90 days in the helpcenter screenshot is AWS. I just checked with my Azure account).

That means, your 5 weekly GFS points will never be moved to Azure archive. This is done to save you costs. That means, the temporary proxy appliance will be active once per month (as mentioned earlier)