Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
dgalindo2019
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Galindo

Move only GFS backups to Azure

Post by dgalindo2019 »

I have configured my SOBR as an extent to my Azure Blob, is there a way not to move the full backup chain and only take the full backups with VBK extension? that is, only those marked as GFS.
oleg.feoktistov
Veeam Software
Liked: 636 times
Full Name: Oleg Feoktistov

Re: Move only GFS backups to Azure

Post by oleg.feoktistov »

Having GFS enabled on your job, just make sure that operational restore window value in the Capacity Tier move policy settings exceeds your backup job's retention policy for recent backups, and you are good to go. Thanks!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, David, what job type are you talking about? Backup or backup copy one? Thanks!
dgalindo2019
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: David Galindo

Post by dgalindo2019 »

Hi Vladimir, I try to do it with backup copy, when I try to do it only the backup job takes the whole chain, in which case I am only interested in taking full backups to Azure.

I really don't know if this is possible or should I take the whole chain with me.

Cheers
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether I completely get your scenario, but if you're using backup copy jobs, only GFS restore points will be moved to Capacity Tier - seems to be exactly what you're after. Thanks!
lowlander
Service Provider
Liked: 30 times

Post by lowlander »

oleg.feoktistov wrote: Nov 10, 2020 10:16 pm Having GFS enabled on your job, just make sure that operational restore window value in the Capacity Tier move policy settings exceeds your backup job's retention policy for recent backups, and you are good to go. Thanks!
Hi Oleg,

Is it correct to say,

when you uncheck the option in the SOBR capacity tier : Move backups to object storage as they age out the operational restore window... in combination with the checkbox enabled : Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created,

that the retention configured for the GFS on the backup job is also applicable to the retention on the object storage (capacity tier) ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

There's only one single retention policy: on the backup job. There are no other retention policies in the picture, ever.

Those SOBR settings only define how/where the backup files are stored within the distributed backup repository that is SOBR:
- You can have SOBR create a copy of all backups that land into it
- You can have SOBR remove older backups from local storage aka Performance Tier to free one up, and only store them in object storage aka Capacity Tier

But all of this is completely perpendicular to the retention policy (how long to store those backups), which is defined and enforced solely on a job level.

Think of SOBR as a regular, simple backup repository - just with some data management smarts inside doing copying for redundancy and tiering for cost savings. Just like simple backup repository is just a "hole" for you to store your backups in, which cannot affect your retention policy anyhow - neither can SOBR.