Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ebondi
Influencer
Liked: never

Offload jobs keeps waiting Locking backup chains

Post by ebondi »

Hi, sometime there are big backup that needs more time (some days) to offload.

In general, Offload jobs are spawned every 4 hours by default

When an offload job starts moving a big backup, I see from Veeam Console Running Jobs that also multiple Offload jobs are queued each after the other every 4 hours and all these report:

Locking backup chains on Capacity Tier...

The main one works to complete the moving to archive, but in the list of running jobs I continue see all the stucking jobs waiting and nothing more.
I expect when the first offload jobs will complete its moving (I repeat, also after several days of activity on that big backup) all the other offload jobs will just realize that there will be NOTHING to Lock and move due to the big backup has already been moved by the first job.

So I'm asking: why all the subsequent offload jobs have not set a sort of timeout (some minutes, also few hours) and close them selves if the backup file cannot be locked due to is already locked by the first offload job?

It is very annoying to see all that list of Running jobs that increase in number every day and stay all at 0% completed
I would like to check briefly the status of really running jobs but all that long list of unusefull jobs is a real WASTE OF TIME to me.

It should be very easy to setup a timeout on locking resources and close the Offload job if backup file is not lockable due to it is already locked by another actively running job.
The fact that this kind of Offload jobs are spawned every 4 hours keeps safe that before or later all the backup file will be evaluated and archived when they will be available to be locked later.

Please keep Veeam Console clean from all those unusefull jobs

Thanks
Regards
Enrico
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Offload jobs keeps waiting Locking backup chains

Post by Mildur »

Hello Enrico

Thank you for the feedback.
We will discuss if and how it can be optimized.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software