Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Quickest possible store to Immutable S3

Post by ortec-RW »

hi

We're evaluating S3 Object storage in Cloud with immutability (AWS/Wasabi). We need it for VM and NAS backups. They way they handle the Cloud-tier is what I am focussing on. I want to know the smallest possible RPO. In other words, what's that smallest possible Cloud off-loading I can set ?

In NAS backup I can set a Retention in Days for the Local Repository. Then I can set Archive policy in years and months to the Cloud Repository.
But if days is the smallest interval, this means I can never offload quicker then that. If I set the days to 1, it will start archiving to Cloud on day 2. But what if I loose my local repository (Ransomware) ? I always loose 1 day of data (RPO). I would perhaps like to back it up 5 times a day and offload to cloud ASAP. I would then not loose more then 1/5th of a day in RPO.

Off course, a huge dataset would probably never get to reach the cloud before the next backup interval, depending on bandwidth. But a smaller dataset would. I cannot use a copy-job either since that doesn't work on NAS shares backup types. And using on-premise S3 is bound to the same 1 day rule too.

Is less then 1-day immutabilty a dream ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Quickest possible store to Immutable S3

Post by Gostev »

ortec-RW wrote: Aug 19, 2020 12:47 pmI would perhaps like to back it up 5 times a day and offload to cloud ASAP.
Then you should use the Copy policy, instead of the Move policy. You need v10 or later for this.

NAS Backup is a different story though, it does not support either at the moment. It uses a totally different approach than VM backup anyway, since it backs up files not images.
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

Also worth noting that immutability is only on AWS and not wasabi currently. Our immutability is using the object lock api and wasabi currently does not support that api.
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
ortec-RW
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Richard Willkomm

Post by ortec-RW »

@Gostev
Thanks for the feedback. I got it now.

@Dalbertson
Thanks for the heads up.