Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
Jonohue
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jonathan Donohue

Restore from Azure Offloaded Backup Data (Originally from SOBR On-Prem) During DR Event

Post by Jonohue »

Hello all,

I would like to see if my understanding of how we would go about restoring our virtual machines in the event of a disaster recovery event happens is correct.

My understanding is this:

We have a Scale out Backup Repository that is currently configured to use storage at the performance tier, and the Microsoft Azure Blob Storage / Object Storage at the Capacity Tier.
Should this be configured as such, we currently have data that is offloading into Azure successfully.
The data is encrypted with a key that we set during initial configuration within our Veeam On Premise server.

In the event that the Veeam On Premise server, or the whole entire environment for that matter ends up going down, how would we use the data that is offloaded to Microsoft Azure from the Veeam On Premise SOBR Job that offloads to Azure?

We do not have a virtual machine within Azure at this time (proxy or otherwise), but rather using it mainly for the storage account / container / associated keys.

The backup jobs have been successful and offloading to Azure for about a month or so at this point from the Veeam On Premise SOBR job associated with the Azure Object Storage, and I believe the retention policy on the jobs is about 14 days or so.

The actual jobs within Veeam prior to setting up the SOBR job are also there.

If everything died (on prem backup server, domain controllers, etc) and all I had was the Veeam data from the offloading jobs that has been stored in Azure for some time, how would I go about successfully recovering at least a couple of virtual machines in such an event?

Would I need to grab any machine at all, install Veeam Backup and Replication Console, configure a repository within Veeam pointing to the Azure Object storage where data is being offloaded, and then import the backup jobs from there?

If this is not correct, can someone please guide me through this?

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Jonohue
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restore from Azure Offloaded Backup Data (Originally from SOBR On-Prem) During DR Event

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jonohue
Would I need to grab any machine at all, install Veeam Backup and Replication Console, configure a repository within Veeam pointing to the Azure Object storage where data is being offloaded, and then import the backup jobs from there?
Restore Points in the Capacity Tier are offloaded with the necessary metadata. This restore points can be imported to any veeam server.

What you need todo:

1) Install Veeam Backup & Replication (not only the console, the entire product), it doesn‘t need to be licensed todo a restore from the capacity tier

2) Add the azure blob storage as an object storage to the newly installed vbr server.

3) Import the backup files. Provide the decryption password.

4) Start a restore session, FLR, entire vm restore or instant vm recovery. Every veeam restore operation is supported.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software