Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Failed to disable backup immutability s3 versioning feature is enabled on the selected bucket

Post by frankive »

Hi.
We have a customer with 30 days immutable retention on their Amazon S3 bucket.
They are now shutting down the company and we want to remove their bucket from our Amazon S3 console.
My thoughts is that I should disable the retention policy of 30 days on the repository, wait 30 days and then delete all the data in the bucket.
But when I try to do that I get the following error in VBR:
"Failed to to disable backup immutability s3 versioning feature is enabled on the selected bucket"

What can we do to fix this?
And eventually if that gets fixed, is it possible at all to delete the customers bucket?
dalbertson
Veeam Software
Liked: 175 times
Full Name: Dustin Albertson

Re: Failed to disable backup immutability s3 versioning feature is enabled on the selected bucket

Post by dalbertson » 1 person likes this post

You cant disable immutability as its the nature of object lock. But what you can do is seal the repo and then wait 30 days and just delete the bucket when the immutable period has passed.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Dustin Albertson | Director of Product Management - Cloud & Applications | Veeam Product Management, Alliances
frankive
Service Provider
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Frank Iversen

Re: Failed to disable backup immutability s3 versioning feature is enabled on the selected bucket

Post by frankive »

so the bucket itself will be able to be deleted as soon as it has been emptied by Veeam by Veeams retention?

What if the customer is shutdown before 30 days and they dont have a Veeam console which handles the retentions? Lets say a hard cut from Veeam.. will eventually the object files on Amazosn still expire after the 30 + 10 days, and we will once again be able to delete the bucket manually?

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Yes, just nuke the whole bucket after the immutability period passes. Nothing will prevent the deletion.